Griefing Servers

Started by Thorin, August 16, 2012, 04:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Does anyone here play on servers that allow griefing?  Stewie started up a server recently (oh, about 36 hours ago now?).  Two of my kids joined up but the younger wasn't really into gathering materials and kept dying from monsters because he had no armour.  So I joined up and spent some time gathering resources for him.  We made sure to go way far away from spawn so people wouldn't bother us, then I made armour for both of them (and some other goodies) and left it in a chest.  I made sure to ask whether this was an everyone-for-themselves PvP server, or a cooperative server, and I got told cooperative so I left it at that.

Today he signed in and was trapped in a fenced-in wheat farm that I'd built.  He was in someone else's territory (in other words, there's a mod installed that lets people claim land and they somehow found our location and claimed what'd been built).  I'm sure they've taken all the stuff that was gathered and left for my kids.  If they'd said it was a griefing server, or that it was everyone for themselves, I would've made sure to hide everything or protect it by claiming land or something (or just carry it all around myself).

Anyway, I have no interest in letting my six year old guy get griefed; they'll constantly be stealing his stuff, since they're fifteen and sixteen year olds using hacks to fly and giving themselves emerald blocks within the first few hours the server's live.  Same with my eleven year old, although she can at least kind of defend herself (by hiding the stuff).

My first reaction on finding my little guy trapped and without the gear I made for him available was to want to just turn off the port forwarding.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I guess, it is PVP enabled / faction play (I mean the mod is there, so it's gonna get used for crap like this) you're going to get jerks. Like any online multiplayer game all it takes is one asshat to mess a game up.

If you get Stewie to make map backups on a schedule like Tom you should be able to roll back to previous save and revert any shenanigans. Of course if it persists you can use Player Edit to remove stuff for that player or just ban them outright.

Have Stewie give you Op status and de-op the jerks too, what's the point of playing SMP if you're just going to give yourself everything, go play Halo or something else lol.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah...  When I was on in the first 24 hours the server was live, there were a few of them that wanted to show me the new castle they'd built.  There was some mention of World Editing and using emerald blocks and of course they've already got a full set of diamond armour and Power 3 bows.  In other words, Stewie and his buddies are giving themselves whatever they want as if it's a creative server, while those not in the inner circle have to play SMP.  I've already had one chat with him about how that's basically cheating.

I thought I taught him better, but apparently all the complaining he did about other servers' admins being unfair made him think he should act just like them.

I'm not going to ask for map backups / rollbacks, I'm not letting a kid who can't read yet interact on a server with jerks.  I mean, at one point I actually had to point out that I was the admin's dad and that they should 1) watch their language 2) stop ganging up on this other kid that they'd invited and then killed over and over.

Seriously, it'd be so easy to just disable the port forwarding.

If the admins and their close friends followed the same rules as everyone else, then I might call in the Righteous Wrath posse to set it right :)  But they're not.  And it's exactly what he used to complain other admins did.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yep, it never ceases to amaze me how many folks become the very thing they hate.

Now starting with just two sheep and a good sized wheat farm you can overload the server chunks they live in with a massive horde of animals, not that I've thought about doing such vile, despicable things ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2012, 05:47:43 PM
Yep, it never ceases to amaze me how many folks become the very thing they hate.

Now starting with just two sheep and a good sized wheat farm you can overload the server chunks they live in with a massive horde of animals, not that I've thought about doing such vile, despicable things ;)
Muahahaha. I wonder how many sheep you can fit in a vault....
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 16, 2012, 05:50:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2012, 05:47:43 PM

Muahahaha. I wonder how many sheep you can fit in a vault....

Lol! that's a great question!

What's the IP of that server? (J/K)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

If we were to do something that nasty, we'd have to find a way to keep all the rest of them off the server until we're done.

For instance, by changing the external facing port so they can't connect unless they guess the correct port.

Geez, yesterday one of 'em jokingly but trollbaitingly asked me to tell 'em about life before the internet.  They don't realize their elders know a lot more than them.  Also, I corrected him; I'm younger than the internet, just older than the world wide web.  He didn't even know the difference.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Haha TNT for everyone! j/k

Ahh kids! Kids are hilarious.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Did a little reading about the Factions mod.  You get 10 power points for each person in your faction at the start.  Each time a person dies, that person becomes less powerful, so gives you less than 10 power points.  They can go all the way to -10.  So if there's two players in your faction, the max power points you can have is 20 and the min is -20.  There are 8 factions with 11 total players, not more than 2 players in any faction.  4 of the 8 factions have 9,000 power points or more (remember, only up to 2 players in any of the factions, so they should only have up to 20 power points).  Pretty damn obvious who the buddies are.

Also, the faction that claimed the land my stuff was on has the _only_ person who visited me in it, an admin who _teleported_ to me.  So he used admin powers to find out where I was, then his faction (he and one other guy) cleared me out.  And as an admin he can just give himself whatever block he wants.  This was the kid that told me it was a cooperative server.  See, that's what's wrong with today's generation.

GET OFF MY LAWN
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

"Oops! I accidentally logged and blocked your IP"

*cough*

Anyway, whatta dick, people like that are going to be in for a rude awakening in the real world, that's for sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

lol

Some kid was asking some other kid to go advertise on other servers.  I said, "Or maybe don't advertise, because if this cuts into my bandwidth too much I'll just turn off the port forwarding."  The response, "You scare me person".  <fighting urge to change the port and get RW to set up a large faction...>
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 16, 2012, 10:07:44 PM
lol

Some kid was asking some other kid to go advertise on other servers.  I said, "Or maybe don't advertise, because if this cuts into my bandwidth too much I'll just turn off the port forwarding."  The response, "You scare me person".  <fighting urge to change the port and get RW to set up a large faction...>

Insomniacs vs kids with no responsibilities? Not sure who would win.

Thorin

Uhh, the insomniacs will know the port number, the kids with no responsibilities won't.  No contest.  When they figure it out, then the router mysteriously starts refusing incoming connections from certain IP addresses.  Technologically capable insomniacs for the win.

-----

Well, I heard a new term today, "Admin Shock" - it means when you first get admin privileges you go crazy and (ab)use it as much as possible.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I repeat:

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA  >:D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!