Cave Crawl II: Electric Boogaloo

Started by Mr. Analog, September 13, 2012, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 31, 2012, 02:17:08 PM
So you know that water and redstone don't mix, not even side by side.

RP2 would definitely make this easier and prettier.

Anyway, I think we'll need a switch on both sides, otherwise we'll never be able to get in the castle!

Yes, the same as glowstone.

The idea here is to build the pistons under the water and have them raise sand upward.

I'll play around with some configurations in creative mode.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, we're on the same page as to where the pistons go.  At first I was thinking of only one block of sand going through the two layers of water, which would cause redstone to be near / in the water.  Then I realized we could do a stack of three or four sand so that the pistons and redstone are buried in the ground under the water, thus eliminating the problem of redstone near water.

I think the "mechanical room" with all the redstone and stuff should be accessible and its interior should be lined with sandstone and lit up so that we can show off the redstone circuitry.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

If the "bridge" is only one block under water this isn't that hard, there have been tutorials on it for ever using levers.

If you want it to be auto magic, I would put pressure plates at each end and hide a toggle ( retracts once you reach the other side) circuit deep under ground or a timer circuit (stays up for a limited amount of time..

Thorin

This is in water two blocks deep.  But Mr. A's right, it should be easy - just put the pistons deeper in the ground and use a higher stack of sand or gravel on top of them, then the redstone is away from the water and it's no big deal.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I think I figured a mechanism for the drawbridge last night, in single-player.  One of the problems I encountered was that if the pistons move too fast, the sand breaks instead of falling.  I have a piston-based T Flip-Flop with one input and one output that leads into an ABBA switch with two outputs, the first leading to the lower sticky pistons and the second leading to the upper sticky pistons.  I made a little three-wide two-deep stream over the mechanism to try this out and it worked good, with the sand simply replacing the water blocks when it was pushed up.

Would you mind if I built this, Mr. A?  I've got this grandiose plan for a colour-coded mechanical room...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Go for it!

Redstone is super fun to play with :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The drawbridge is done.  There's a button just inside the gate.  Go ahead and push it and see what happens :)  Then push it again, and see what else happens :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 02, 2012, 12:21:29 AM
The drawbridge is done.  There's a button just inside the gate.  Go ahead and push it and see what happens :)  Then push it again, and see what else happens :)

Ooh I'll check it out tonight!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Lemme know what you think about the mechanical room, too.  I tried to make it bright and cheery in there, and I was digging directly under the moat so had to be careful when digging up (almost drowned once).  I tried to make sure that we can reach all the redstone, pistons, etc without having to break any blocks.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 02, 2012, 12:03:18 PM
Lemme know what you think about the mechanical room, too.  I tried to make it bright and cheery in there, and I was digging directly under the moat so had to be careful when digging up (almost drowned once).  I tried to make sure that we can reach all the redstone, pistons, etc without having to break any blocks.

Sure maybe I'll log in now just to see.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Drawbridge pix!

We need to name this fortress at some point
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Third pic, just to the right of the entrance you can see a sandstone block - the button's on there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Also yeah I think we have to widen the moat and I will design a more grandiose gatehouse (complete with flaming braziers)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

How wide you wanna go?  Five blocks?  I have a couple of Efficiency V diamond shovels that I'm happy to use up :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I propose a long jump to figure it out!
By Grabthar's Hammer