Windows Media Player 12 is TRASH

Started by Mr. Analog, January 31, 2013, 11:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Good lord I am fed up with this thing, it uses VAST amounts of memory and even still cannot reliably keep its interface from @%&#ting the bed every 5 seconds if you are playing media from a LAN share. What's that? You want to hear the next song? *spin spin spin* NOT RESPONDING *spin spin spin* NOTHING

I've had it, VLC is going everywhere now.

Microsoft can suck it, all I wanted to do was listen to music while I code, but apparently that's IMPOSSIBLE for Windows to handle.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

...VLC works so well I could literally cry
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Umm...  Yup!  I agree with both points.

WMP12 works okay for local media.  Their stupid "watched folders" code was so poorly written at one point that it would just use 100% CPU (on all cores!) if you had over about 4,000 tracks in your folders.  That mysteriously fixed itself with a "critical security patch".

I do still use WMP12 to listen to music, but it's all on my local drive, nothing on shared media.  I tried playing stuff off my networked Drobo and same as you, it would connect / disconnect / connect / disconnect, and just crap out trying to play the next song.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

The sad thing is I've been wrestling with this on and off for a long time, I've installed hotfixes, changed config settings (by default it attempts to stream off a network drive) all sorts of things... the audio will play but the interface is constantly dying, it's crazy.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I use iTunes, VLC or MPC HC http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ for PC playback or well the Plex Web player now...

I haven't used the WMP for many years.

Mr. Analog

I initially avoided using something different for a long time and tried very hard to just use what came on my work computer, however there are just some days where a large playlist helps and just wow, WMP was not up to the task!!

Ooh, I'll look into MPC, that sounds pretty good as well, I like VLC because of the bare bones but then there are features I sometimes want to have the option for (like Plex)

I guess the other frustrating side of things was just the complete lack of support on this issue from Microsoft, many of the KBase articles or support forum posts shrugged off the problem but it seems to have been an issue from at least WMP11 and stretches over several years.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The plex webclient isn't bad. In fact I find my self using it when I am at home even though I have direct access to the media files and don't need to be streaming.

Mr. Analog

I use Plex quite a bit with my tablet, which I usually have set up right next to me, but I was getting a lot of calls over Lync today so it was better just to keep the headset on today.

Ahh works so good now...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on January 31, 2013, 12:46:51 PM
I use iTunes, VLC or MPC HC http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ for PC playback or well the Plex Web player now...

I haven't used the WMP for many years.

nice to see that Media Player Classic is still going strong, lots of support, plenty of language translations so that's a sign it's getting plenty of love still. Years ago it gave an alternative to people who were already sick of WMP and RP. That and VLC (and Screamer for streaming radio) ftw, imo!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

I think the last time I used WMP was back in early 2000s... been using KLite since then and always switch my default to MPC with it.  Never really did get into using VLC, still always KLite for me.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on February 01, 2013, 07:34:38 AM
I think the last time I used WMP was back in early 2000s... been using KLite since then and always switch my default to MPC with it.  Never really did get into using VLC, still always KLite for me.

wut?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Lite_Codec_Pack

ah. so not the common name for a radio station ;)

Tom

Back when I still watched stuff on windows, I'd use CCCP.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on February 01, 2013, 09:13:04 AM
Back when I still watched stuff on windows, I'd use CCCP.

ORLY? lol

ahhh...

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!