Main Menu

FTB Wish list

Started by Lazybones, August 20, 2013, 12:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Creating this thread to track what each person likes and dislikes that are available in FTB..

I would suggest listing an item and its associated mode in the format:

PRO:
Tanks - Rail Craft
Steve's Carts

CON:

A mod can maintain a list of pro-s can Cons in this first post.

Mr. Analog

Hmm, I'd like to see...

BuildCraft 3
ComputerCraft
EnderStorage
Forestry
Hats/Hatstand
Industrial Craft 2
Iron Chests
OmniTools
Portal Gun
Railcraft
Steve's Carts
ThaumCraft

I can think of more but I know I would want at least these

The thing I've found with a lot of these mods is that you will find gaps in one mod that another fills nicely, for me IC2 and BC3 are very easy to get my head around because I've got a lot of experience with them, Thaumcraft not so much as I didn't really play around with it (so that would be the new mod I want to play with), but if we're going to get an FTB server going you will want to have started with IC2 and BC3 early on to get resources.

I'm happy with just about anything, though I would say let's dump stuff that isn't finished (like XyCraft).

If we were on a PVP server I'd pick the Ampz Pack and blow stuff up
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 20, 2013, 01:34:40 PM
though I would say let's dump stuff that isn't finished (like XyCraft).

Exactly, better to add those when they are functional than when only the resources and most basic parts exist to use up inventory space. I also think in some ways it is unnecessary to have two very similar mods if one has a much higher cost to reward than the other. IE solar panels that cost more to make or digging machines that are not sufficiently unique.

Did anyone actually spend time breading bee's with the extra bee's mod? Are there alternatives to the forestry mod machines in other mods??? Building all the work benches and tools for some of the mods that require special ones for sub components gets fairly complex.. Where as some mods can use the standard tools and benches but still require new recipes.

Mr. Analog

I almost got into bee breeding when I found out that I could use propolis to synthesize slimeballs. I opted for the Factorization method of creating them in the end (when I started I thought Factorization would be easy LOL). I never got into the tree breeding side of things but there are some interesting benefits to actually farming trees for biofuel (in the form of nuts).

The main headache I've suffered from in the past is power conversion, power storage and pipes that drop valuable entities. Power conversion was absolutely the worst, nothing says fun like building 2 or more sets of infrastructure to process material.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 20, 2013, 03:46:24 PM
The main headache I've suffered from in the past is power conversion, power storage and pipes that drop valuable entities. Power conversion was absolutely the worst, nothing says fun like building 2 or more sets of infrastructure to process material.

Could be limiting but maybe we should go with only one power system (outside of red stone)?

Lazybones

One power system would serve as a good filter for mods, and mods that can be powered through conversion could still be included.

I really hated trying to figure out all the wires and power pipes for the various mods.. I used one power type and setup conversions for some items that I really wanted from other mods... but did not build any power generation for those other mods.

Mr. Analog

Well, there is the Ampz modpack, it uses the Universal Electricity API, it uses mods I haven't played with yet:
http://ftbwiki.org/Ampz_Pack

The core mods I would play with though are IC2, BC3 and Forestry, all of which have different kinds of power and power conversion. Kind of getting back to the old days of Tekkit.

That said I want to have tons of crazy mods to see what cool stuff we can build.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Would be nice not to have two types of tin gears, 4 or 5 wrenches, 3 or 4 types of copper.
Different grinding machines that creat different dusts etc. IE less duplication and more universe consistency.

I think some of these things are tweak able at the per mod, IE rail craft adds harder recipes for rails or you can have the normal ones?

I can deal with these issues however I think based on experience with the current server these are areas we could tweak.

Mr. Analog

I think that's why I put OmniTools as one of my preferred mods, one wrench, one screwdriver, etc

Things got a bit confusing with the Thermal Expansion mod which contained a lot of machines comparable to IC2, those kind of things are confusing for sure. Especially when dusts behave differently than pulverized material...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Exactly, but as for the wrench in omni tools it didn't remove / replace the 4 or so other ones, they still existed.

Tom

Some interesting notes:

BC pipes are far less stupid than they were. They won't drop @%&# on the floor if theres another direction for them to go, if they hit the end, then they migh.
Logistics Pipes are back \o/

I think you should just look at the IC2 and BC mods as entirely separate entities. There is no real good reason to try and use them together. The only good way I know of conversion at the moment is using the steam generator in railcraft, but you need to power it with an industrial steam boiler. Not a cheap prospect.

I hear a "BUT!" coming, DON'T! just treat them separately and you'll be a lot happier. Want some IC2 machines? Make an IC2 room. Want BC machines? Make a BC room.

And as I mentioned before, at least for most ores, if three mods have copper, there will only be one copper in the game. in the off chance that you manage to make one kind of copper that doesn't match the common kind, it should be useable in place of the original kind. Some mods like to be stupid and use the forge ore dictionary for some things, but most times those mods are retarded anyhow.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Looks like we agree a custom mod pack is a good idea but we may have some differences on what should and should not be included.

Tom do you want to create a base list of what at a minimum you think should be included ? Then maybe we can vote in other mods.

Tom

Could do. There are some mods that I'd really like that others may not like... But yeah, I can setup a list of absolutely required mods (IC2, BC, etc).

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on August 21, 2013, 09:09:27 AM
Could do. There are some mods that I'd really like that others may not like... But yeah, I can setup a list of absolutely required mods (IC2, BC, etc).

I think you have more background on which mods may or may not be very stable or get updates, so maybe create the base list of of the most useful stable mods, then highlight your list of extras..

Obviously we want lots of cool new stuff to play with, but Direwolf was kind of a everything and the kitchen sink style pack.

Tom

Thing is, I want to play with a lot of the new mods in there. And a lot of the old ones.