Mincraft Dev in overdrive?

Started by Lazybones, September 05, 2013, 12:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Chest Lables http://imgur.com/a/XhVHY

Seems like new features are going nuts in minecraft.

Tom

Yeah, 1.7 may include new biomes and some really neat new stuff.

for instance, a single click on an item frame only yeilds the item in the frame. click an empty frame to get the frame off the wall. makes them SO much more useful.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

New biomes, new plants, trees, snow on mountaintops, random "crap" items when fishing (like used boots haha), new fish

and super-secret special stuff which hasn't yet been revealed.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I might put up a straight vanilla server in addition to the main usamot before bukkit gets updated.

I suspect 1.7 bukkit to take a while.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think the quickened pace has something to do with all of the refactoring they've been doing. Apparently for a long time, most of the week was dedicated to refactoring the code. And a day or two a week was for new features and fun stuff. They might be at the point that adding new stuff takes a lot less work, and breaks a lot less things.

Mr. Analog

There's also the hassle of learning other peoples' code, developing changes while bug fixing all the while you have a really REALLY dedicated fanbase watching your every move...

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, especially if the code you took over needed a couple years of refactoring :D

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 05, 2013, 02:36:49 PM
ALL code needs refactoring
If you have to take over a project that needs to be completely rewritten on a regular basis, I feel for you :(

mc was more than just a bit of refactoring. pretty sure they had to completely rewrite it over the past couple years. one part at a time.

Mr. Analog

I have yet to see anything of complexity not need some part of it re-written.

Heck I look at stuff written 3 weeks ago and want to re-write it, but sometimes you have to let go until it's important.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah. I completely agree. Nothing is ever quite right the first time out.

Just saying theres a difference between some refactoring and a complete staged rewrite of an entire codebase.

Mr. Analog

Yeah, going nuclear is the last resort for pretty much anything if you ask me, way easier to rebuild the guts in iterations.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on September 05, 2013, 12:33:39 PM

You guys missed the really important bit of these images.  DOUBLE CHESTS IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO EACH OTHER.  When the hell did that come in?

-----

A separate vanilla server?  Why, just for us to play?  How hard would it be to switch our server back to vanilla?  It's just that it would seem like such a waste of time to build stuff that will then get tossed when Bukkit updates.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 05, 2013, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on September 05, 2013, 12:33:39 PM

You guys missed the really important bit of these images.  DOUBLE CHESTS IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO EACH OTHER.  When the hell did that come in?

-----

A separate vanilla server?  Why, just for us to play?  How hard would it be to switch our server back to vanilla?  It's just that it would seem like such a waste of time to build stuff that will then get tossed when Bukkit updates.

Probably at the same time they let you attache signs to them... Looks like a few annoyances will be fixed.