!@#$% Google Chrome

Started by Mr. Analog, September 24, 2013, 03:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

And just swapped my laptop over to iceweasel 24. We'll see how it goes.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."  ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on September 28, 2013, 10:32:38 AM
And just swapped my laptop over to iceweasel 24. We'll see how it goes.

I'm proud to say that my kids actually know what browser that is.

Back when my drives were dying due to a bad power supply, I used a Linux distro on a CD and it included Iceweasel. Took 'em a while to realize that was a play of words on Firefox.

And a firefox is actually a red panda.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Tom

Mr. Analog

Chrome continues to be a piece of @%&#, I've noticed some significant performance problems on my XP box using Chrome and discovered this insidious "rich notification" feature

I turned it off (plus a bunch of other touch related garbage I don't want) by going to the @%&#ing non-GUI-mapped flag settings

chrome://flags/

Gettin' sick of this @%&#
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have been having issues with Firefox under windows 8.1 as well lately.

Tom

Both browsers have gotten into the bloat for bloat's sake game. I'm rather sick of it. we need a new "Fast and light" firefox. what firefox originally was.

Mr. Analog

All I want is a lightweight browser with AdBlock, I don't need anything else in a browser
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I would like to have browser sync as well. but thats about it. browser sync and adblock. and dev tools. ;D

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2013, 11:50:09 AM
I would like to have browser sync as well. but thats about it. browser sync and adblock. and dev tools. ;D

Even if "sync" wasn't built in, what would be sufficient is if the addons, extensions, configuration details, search-engine-keyword-thingies, etc. and even bookmarks were ALL stored locally in a single folder that you could easily set to whatever you want (and thus put On The Cloud, or in a roaming profile, or on a USB drive, or whatever). That would be ideal (on top of a bloat-free modern browser).

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 06, 2013, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2013, 11:50:09 AM

Even if "sync" wasn't built in, but ALL of the addons, configurations, search-engine-keyword-thingies, and even bookmarks were in a single folder that you could easily configure (and thus put On The Cloud, or in a roaming profile, or on a USB drive, or whatever). That would be ideal (on top of a bloat-free modern browser).

I am super lazy.

Lazybones

Everyone has a different "AND" that is why we are where we are today.

Also some of the core web standards are forcing the browsers to be a lot more than before... The latest web video / conferencing APIs require device access and video processing abilities.

Mr. Analog

The trouble I have with a lot of this stuff is that even now HTML 5 standards are being supported inconsistently across browsers and pointless features like tray notifications and history results in the location bar get added for no reason at all

Meanwhile there are bugs galore in the rendering and script engines that need to get dealt with across the board on a variety of platforms.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on December 06, 2013, 03:15:49 PM
Everyone has a different "AND" that is why we are where we are today.

Just make it easy for the user to go to a SINGLE folder and go "select all" and copy-paste to a new machine's same-place and voila they get the same experience. That's all I'm asking for. And letting the user choose that folder path = just makes sense, it ain't the mid 1990s anymore, even MICROSOFT lets you choose the default path for a lot of stuff in their apps...