Main Menu

upgrading Usamot

Started by Thorin, January 15, 2014, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Any chance we can upgrade Usamot to the latest stable build?  Every time I log on, I see a message that recommends upgrading to CraftBukkit 1.6.4.

Also, we have to beware when moving to 1.7, because baby zombies have been changed for 1.7 to fit through 1x1 openings.  That means the XP farms that use zombie spawners will have baby zombies running around!

Also, Chicken Jockeys: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Chicken_Jockey
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I was going to spring it on you guys at some point, but I've been lazy. They made the 1.6.4+ upgrade super simple, and the 1.7.4 beta is out, so I figure I'll do that sometime "soon"ish.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Well let us know, because we have to update our clients at home and since I have a custom installation to support multiple people on multiple machines it takes a bit of work.

Also, if you upgrade to 1.7+, I'll have to alter the Super XP Farm setup because of the little baby zombies now fitting through the mob-kneecapping hole I left.  And if I'm doing that, I might also alter the drop distance for the zombos so they land with 1 hp instead of 2 hp...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

It's been over a week... You pencil this in to your plans yet? I know you're playing Starbound more now, but don't forget about us poor miners and crafters :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I haven't played /any/ games the past week or three. :(

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on January 26, 2014, 05:03:01 PM
I haven't played /any/ games the past week or three. :(

Well I know that feeling, I had to cut into my sleep time to play Minecraft last weekend, and hoo boy was I tired on the bench...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Heh. Maintenance wise, its A LOT easier to update starbound.

Thorin

Yeah, I really don't know what the required work is to update Bukkit on our Usamot server.  I just want it to stop telling me we should update...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 26, 2014, 07:43:52 PM
Yeah, I really don't know what the required work is to update Bukkit on our Usamot server.  I just want it to stop telling me we should update...
Heh. I'll /try/ to get it done "soon". But I can't guarantee nothing. Maybe this week?

Mr. Analog

I'm looking forward to the MC update as well
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I was thinking, there's a separate proxy minecraft server that lets you setup multi server MC servers. So we could keep the existing world, and have portals to entirely new sub servers where we can put the new world.

I'm wondering if we want to bother? It'd get all of the new 1.7 content right around spawn in the new world. And they'd be separate servers, so performance would probably be better than slapping a multi-dimension mod on bukkit I would think. And the servers could actually be on separate servers (virtual or physical). Also I think that proxy server gets updated quicker than the more complex bukkit mods.

Not decided yet. If we want to bother, I don't mind. Otherwise, meh!

Mr. Analog

I'm interested in this idea for sure, I don't mind starting on a new map either as long as our existing stuff lives on in some form.

I kind of like the idea of a smaller map as well anyway, no more loading a multi-gig map!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I honestly don't know what's a better solution for having multiple worlds.  I like the idea of having a transit dimension which is just a big room with portals to other dimensions, one of which is our current Usamot and another of which is the FUTURE USAMOT OF TOMORROW NOW </announcer voice>.  It'd be really cool if we had overviewer maps for both, too.  And we should build a nice transit dimension room, and then collaborate on the layout of spawn on the new world, definitely make it a modern-looking small town or something to start with.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

If we started a new server+map could we link it back later?

I don't know about you guys but I would love to play on a fresh server
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

With any multi server setup, the only important thing is that they are all the same version. But yeah, I was thinking about having the new 1.7/1.8 world on a new instance, and keep the old map up as the gateway to it. but we could also have a much smaller mostly read-only hub world to go between the other worlds.