Main Menu

upgrading Usamot

Started by Thorin, January 15, 2014, 10:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

K, let's do that

I think we could get more people playing on a fresh new map with all sorts of new cool stuff to play with.

What do you guys think?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Snowie0wl

Either way sounds good to me, so long as the servers aren't stressed.

I like the island heavy maps like the present Usamot.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on January 27, 2014, 02:48:52 PM
With any multi server setup, the only important thing is that they are all the same version. But yeah, I was thinking about having the new 1.7/1.8 world on a new instance, and keep the old map up as the gateway to it. but we could also have a much smaller mostly read-only hub world to go between the other worlds.

I think we all agree that we want the old Usamot still accessible, but have no problem with restarting on a new map.  Whether that's done with a proxy server or a bukkit plugin doesn't matter, I don't think.  Whatever's easier for Tom to set up / maintain.

I do think we need to coordinate a nice modern town build near spawn so that people have somewhere nice to start from.

And if we start on a new map, can we make sure that we're not in a snowy or desert area to begin?  The snow gets on everything and makes builds not look as good, and if we're in desert then people will strip-mine the sand and it'll end up looking bad.  My favourite biome would be some kind of grasslands with a forest a little ways away, but as long as it's not snowy or sandy I'll be okay.

Tom, is there anything we can do / anything you need help with to get a new map set up?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

You guys can look for awesome seeds for the new map.

Otherwise you can add a few extra hours to every day so I have time!
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

LennyLen

AwesomeWorld!!11 gives a pretty nice spawn.

Thorin

Is there a way to get the seed of the world in single player?  If there is, I'll make, like, a hundred with random seeds and see if a good one comes out.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

Quote from: Thorin on February 10, 2014, 12:52:04 PM
Is there a way to get the seed of the world in single player?

/seed

Tom

Should also be a bunch of threads on the internet with lists of seeds.

Thorin

Yeah, but it's more fun to look for myself :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on February 10, 2014, 01:20:26 PM
Yeah, but it's more fun to look for myself :)

Yeah what else will he do when he is watching TV at 3AM on a week day>>> :P :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I'm usually asleep by then.  Although looking for nice seeds might keep me up...

Are there any specific wishes for a seed?  Beyond not in snow or sand?  I really like the idea of starting on a plain with trees in one direction and hills in the other, and a nice beach on a large lake in another direction...

Or we could try one of these seeds where you start in water?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

If we had a mesa somewhat near by that would be cool. Two preferably, one so it can look cool, and another we can tear to shreds. ;)

Thorin

Bukkit's recommended build is still for 1.6.  Mesas are part of 1.7.  To get 1.7, we'd have to run vanilla or run a dev build of Bukkit.  Is that something we want to do, or are we going to wait with moving to 1.7 until Bukkit's recommended build is there?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I'm interested in being current with MC, but i am not a heavy player.  So take that weight with my request.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I don't mind running the beta builds. It's the dev ones I don't want to mess with.