Usamot Transport Authority Update

Started by Mr. Analog, March 18, 2012, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

UTA Mission
To provide fast, safe travel between players and biomes.

System Update

All Stations Online
-Spawn (Central) Station -- ONLINE
-Pineview Station (southwest) (two track) [Stewie] -- ONLINE
-Biome Station (east) (two track) [Mr. Analog] -- ONLINE
-Beach Station (south) (two track in, one track out) [Lazybones] -- ONLINE

Upgrade Notice!
-All stations have now been upgraded to dip stops
-Beach Station has been upgraded with cart automation
-Biome Station is being upgraded with cart automation

Donation of Gold is greatly appreciated

Fact: It takes 6 gold ingots to make 6 Powered Rail
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have combined layers again from JournMap to try and highlight the rail system.

in red is parts Mr. A has built.

In Yellow is a line I have started to dig... It started at standard rail level but then goes down to a special depth just under the ocean to allow for reasonable build time and allow windows on top, it then returns to standard rail level... I have hit a little lake but am almost aligned with the existing rail likes to create a square.

Mr. A let me know what you think.. I think the depth change was necessary due to water.. I tried constructing directly in water but it was crazy slow.

Mr. Analog

Perfectly reasonable given the circumstances :)

Well done!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The tunnel has been widened to 3 by 3, check it out when you are online next... Should be ready for track construction.. You may have to replace some glass with something else, as I don't think you can build on top.. I made several sections with glass floor because there was a cool view.

Melbosa

As I don't really understand how to make the tram system work nor set it up, I can donate the gold (I think I have 2 stacks of 64 made).  I have no other use for it.

I have tried to use the tram system, but I never seem to get a cart to work.  I am such a newb at it.

So where do you want the gold delivered?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

The current Trams work by right click to get in the cart then pressing the button to launch the cart... However on the one way tracks this can suck if the cart is at the other end.... If we pool resources I think we should convert to a looped track with stops, this should make carts more available....

Another interesting option to cover large distances would be to use the nether portal....  as the nether world is a compressed version of the normal world you can build a track between portals there much shorter than the normal world to travel faster... But that might wait till we expand further.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 19, 2012, 08:22:42 AM
As I don't really understand how to make the tram system work nor set it up, I can donate the gold (I think I have 2 stacks of 64 made).  I have no other use for it.

I have tried to use the tram system, but I never seem to get a cart to work.  I am such a newb at it.

So where do you want the gold delivered?

Well, usually you can right click a minecart and jump in, then just turn around and press the button and it will launch you. Of course since 1.2 I've noticed that sometimes minecarts act dead and you can't right-click them. I'm not sure what to do in this situation as things are fairly glitchy, it might be best to just store the minecarts in boxes ready for use rather than leaving them on the rails.

They are a pretty fast way to get around though and it doesn't cost hunger to ride a minecart (vs walking)

That gold would be plenty! I could have the link to Lazy's place done tonight. You can drop off rail supplies in the Maintenance Room near the Spawn Street Station exit (it's a wooden door, there is a chest a crafting table and a furnace back there)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 19, 2012, 08:32:44 AM
Another interesting option to cover large distances would be to use the nether portal....  as the nether world is a compressed version of the normal world you can build a track between portals there much shorter than the normal world to travel faster... But that might wait till we expand further.

Oddly enough I started this project as well, if you enter the nether gate near the spawn you'll end up in a drab little room, just off it is a ladder going to the ceiling from there there is a hallway leading EAST in the overworld (I think I may have incorrectly labelled it from what I remember). I'm planning on building south / north but I'm busy with other projects. If you have enough obsidian just go up the ladder, dig a corridor in the direction you want to go and build a portal in the Nether, it will automatically spawn one in the overworld (CAUTION: there's no way to tell where the end point spawn will be, you may end up in a cavern or underwater).

The other thing is that if the end portal that materializes in the overworld is in a place that sucks you can destroy it and re-build it somewhere nicer within a certain range it will still link up to the other one in the Nether.

Portal travel can be a PITA sometimes though, the Nether gets a little glitchy sometimes (ALWAYS BRING COBBLESTONE!)

For some reason our Nether has the highest concentration of Ghasts I've ever seen, so watch your ass and stay away from cat noises!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have started a pilot tunnel to complete the transit square. From there it is just track laying.

I have been looking at some track automation options that may or may not work. I was thinking we could ether make each side of the square a closed loop or make one megat loop with some more advanced triggers. I have seen some nice vids of pez dispenser systems and pressure plate release systems.

Mr. Analog

Sounds good, if you see something cool try it in Creative mode just to make sure things still work the same a lot of creative cart stuff came before 1.0 and it doesn't all work anymore.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Tunnels are now all connect in a square. Need lots of iron and gold to power all of it.

Mr. Analog

Nice! I'll have to log in tonight and check it out!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

FYI I left windows in places that hit caves to aid future exploration.
I ran low on glass do not all under water sections have glass tops but that is easy to update. 

Ran out of food lat night with all te digging started exporin the over world again to get more food stocked up.

Mr. Analog

It may be a good idea for us to set up a communal farm/ranch. I know I have at least two stacks of 64 seeds.

I'm usually ok for food but when I forget it's a PITA
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/25949/how-to-start-a-cart-from-inside-it

I am thinking we should connect all of the tracks and use dip stations to allow the cars to go all the way around...

Not shown in the above example but I am thinking that having two tracks, each going a different direction would be best, and adding a detector rail to the station to push any parked car out as a new car arrives would make this perfect, then seed each station with one car... By taking a trip you would shuffle all cars one station.

Edit: [Bu] = Button since the forum thinks that a bracketed B is bold.