Usamot Transport Authority Update

Started by Mr. Analog, March 18, 2012, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Brilliant find, I'll start remodelling of the existing A Line tonight if I get on
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 11:18:18 AM
Brilliant find, I'll start remodelling of the existing A Line tonight if I get on

In the short term it might make more sense to just turn the double lines into little loops and then once we have double rail further out, break and expand the loop.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 20, 2012, 11:59:49 AM

In the short term it might make more sense to just turn the double lines into little loops and then once we have double rail further out, break and expand the loop.

Actually I think dip stations will help the minecart glitching quite a bit
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 12:21:53 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on March 20, 2012, 11:59:49 AM

Actually I think dip stations will help the minecart glitching quite a bit

What I was suggesting is that on our current double track segment remove the stoppers and connect the track, make one way dip buttons and then the carts will keep going around. The single track segments will still need stoppers at the end till they can be made into loops.

Mr. Analog

You can make 2 way dips (or bumps) with detector rails

D - Decector Rail
P - Powered Rail
R - Rail
B - Button

[D][P][R][P][D]
    -     -
    ---B---

Either direction you approach the cart will stop on the opposing powered minecart rail and will only continue if the button is pressed.

At lunch I started working out a system of signals that might be connected to the buttons using redstone, repeaters, sound blocks and redstone lamps.

Once I have a tight/simple design figured out I'll post it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 01:20:11 PM
You can make 2 way dips (or bumps) with detector rails

D - Decector Rail
P - Powered Rail
R - Rail
B - Button

[D][P][R][P][D]
    -     -
    ---B---

Either direction you approach the cart will stop on the opposing powered minecart rail and will only continue if the button is pressed.

At lunch I started working out a system of signals that might be connected to the buttons using redstone, repeaters, sound blocks and redstone lamps.

Once I have a tight/simple design figured out I'll post it.

I was thinking more like this:

<--------Travel
                       ------[Bu]
  ==========[P][R][P]=[D]
||                                 -----   ||
|| -----                                   ||
  [D]=[P][R][P]==========
         [Bu]-----
Travel-------->

You start with cards parked at the power rail by the button at each station
Pressing the button gets the cart going, as it approaches the next station the detector releases the parked cart at the station and the traveling card parks, the empty parked card continues to replace the original traveling cart.

Mr. Analog

Sort of like a buffer zone or something right?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 01:48:01 PM
Sort of like a buffer zone or something right?

Maybe we need to discus it verbally or white board it but here is my run down.

There is 1 cart for each stop/platform.
The track is a loop.
Player presses a button once in a cart to go.
As their cart approaches a station the detector track releases the parked cart at that station to clear the platform.
There is a section of normal track between the detector and platform/stop so when the player card arrives it is stopped by the underpowered slope.

The empty cart travels around to the station the player stated at, trips the detector rail (nothing to move in this case) then parks ready for another rider.

you could add many station any where along the line and the carts would always bump each other till every station had one parked cart.

Mr. Analog

Oooh, the trouble there is an unoccupied cart travels a little differently (less velocity) and can get stuck between stations (I know this happens between Spawn and Pineview already).

The problem may be that the Spawn<->Pineview line does not have evenly spaced powered rails.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 01:59:03 PM
Oooh, the trouble there is an unoccupied cart travels a little differently (less velocity) and can get stuck between stations (I know this happens between Spawn and Pineview already).

The problem may be that the Spawn<->Pineview line does not have evenly spaced powered rails.

The trick then would be to re balance the power rails to ensure empty cart travel.. It may be more costly but I think this system would be FAR more user friendly. To be honest I have maybe used the current rails twice, I always end up at an empty station some how.

A simple solution may also be to have a detector rail system at the current two track system always return the cart (if there is one) on the other track on arrival.

Mr. Analog

I'm pretty sure my setup should get an empty cart between Spawn and Biome, that is  1 powered for every 8 (which on a loaded cart is the max speed if I recall).

I'm working on a similar setup for Biome to Beach... so we might only have to fix one leg
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Rail link to Beach Station is complete

Still haven't figured out the best option for parking carts. Maybe tomorrow
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 20, 2012, 07:09:48 PM
Rail link to Beach Station is complete

Still haven't figured out the best option for parking carts. Maybe tomorrow

The dip stations seem to be a bit fussy as well, I was doing a test in creative mode and found speed of entry to be very important, also the player seemed to be able to bump them too easy...

Was messing around with some pistons and other things to see how hard it would be to create a triggered blocker of some kind to ensure their position and pressure plates to control release when the player got in..

Mr. Analog

Status update!

We have our first line complete. This means you can roll around almost the entire map.

Lazy started converting the stations to what's called a dip stop (or dip station). I highly recommend though if you use the system to remove your cart from the rails and place in a nearby chest.

As well I've added chests and signage to all the stations
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I might be tempted to put in some automatic stations at some point. we'll see. I'm VERY tempted to install redpower 2 and maybe buildcraft.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!