Idea, make spawn city largely a safe zone..

Started by Lazybones, May 01, 2012, 02:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 02, 2012, 04:44:15 PM
If you can time box CoH you can time box Minecraft... just sayin'

I can't do either!

Lazy, I get what you're saying, I've taken threads / had my threads taken off-track before and it can be annoying to the original poster if there's a specific topic they wanted to discuss.  With that in mind, have you had any more thoughts on how to delineate and then make safe Spawn City?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to fully fence the walkways up to the entrances of the builtings with the walkway expanded to 3 or 4 wide and slabs. Right now they have light and some gravel walkways exist .

A larger square could be fenced around the builiten board to have a more open feel.

Several iron golems could be released in the area and if we wanted them kept spread out we could create choke points they could not go past so they don't all clump in once zone.

The density of the area shouldn't make this too hard, we may need to trim back trees that over hang the walkways.

I haven't done a recent survey of the area to go into more detail.

Thorin

If you're fencing, you need to remember that spiders can jump three blocks high and can climb.  and if they jump on a tree, they can then jump three blocks from the tree.  I watched spiders jump from hill sides onto trees over my four-block-high fence and then attack me.

But at least there were no creepers, they stood behind the fence looking at me with sad eyes dreaming about exploding me. Sad CREEPER eyes.

If we only do walkways we will still have large areas that can spawn mobs.  We'll also want to place gates at various locations for when people want access to off-path areas.  Oh, and skelly archers can shoot over fences :(
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

LennyLen

A good start would be to add more lighting.  Obviously this won't stop mobs that spawn outside the area from wandering in, but it will certainly make it easier to see them if they do, and will also cut down on the amount of mobs that will spawn in town.  This will have an added bonus of making the mob grinder work better.

Lazybones

The iron golems would hopefully keep the spiders to a minimum.

If the goal is near 100% coverage we would need a overhang fence around the whole area and need to remove all the trees.

Melbosa

While it is a great idea... I haven't spawned in the spawn area since my first month.  Are a lot of people popping out there?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I could drop the server address with some people I know... a few of 'em have expressed interest in checking out our server
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 03, 2012, 08:15:15 AM
While it is a great idea... I haven't spawned in the spawn area since my first month.  Are a lot of people popping out there?

Talking about improving the general safety of the area, where there are lots of people on the server creapers etc still flood in even around the subway station... The idea would be to reduce this as much as possible without going nuts..

On my previous through the path may have to be dug down one block before placing halfslabs or it might make it too easy for golems to walk over the fence.

Mr. Analog

Yep, half-slabbing will work to fix that I think.

Personally I don't mind if creatures spawn above ground at least I can run away, I'd hate to force the only spawning locations to be caves / internal structures.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It's a lot cheaper to just put a lot of torches inside the fence than to half-slab everything.  And I still maintain you're going to want that fence taller and with "barbs" along the top to keep the spiders out.  Or you could put a roof over the paths...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I dropped 25 or 26 stacks of fence in one of the community storage chests in the middle level of this tower: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/19/64/-10/max/0/0  I think I popped in a stack of torches and a few gates as well.  Did that while waiting for freakin' SQL Server 2008 to install <sigh>
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

My weekend is looking rather busy so I am not sure I will get to it this weekend..

I do have several stacks of iron to contribute to golem making.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 04, 2012, 09:38:30 AM
Maybe i can craft a bunch of torches

If glow stone wasn't so hard to find I would suggest some nice street lamps.

Thorin

I agree that glowstone can look neat.  However, torches are renewable, glowstone is not.

dammit, I'm turning into a Minecraftian environmentalist.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful