Java keeps crashing when starting up MagicLauncher

Started by Thorin, October 21, 2012, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I use MagicLauncher to run Minecraft.  I'm on the latest version 1.0.0.  It seems like I get Java crashing 6 out of 7 attempts when I try to connect to the Usamot server.  When I run vanilla Minecraft it doesn't happen, so I assume it's a MagicLauncher problem.  Anyone else encounter this?  It's really annoying!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on October 21, 2012, 06:11:22 PM
I use MagicLauncher to run Minecraft.  I'm on the latest version 1.0.0.  It seems like I get Java crashing 6 out of 7 attempts when I try to connect to the Usamot server.  When I run vanilla Minecraft it doesn't happen, so I assume it's a MagicLauncher problem.  Anyone else encounter this?  It's really annoying!

Is java crashing or are you getting a minecraft out of memory error? Also are you launching with NO MODs to be sure it isn't a mod issue?

Thorin

I haven't checked for log files that would tell me whether it's a crash or an out of memory exception.  It's with mods installed (I did mention with vanilla MC it doesn't happen).  It's when I first start up through MagicLauncher.

I'm just putting up with it for now.  I got an older version of MagicLauncher and now it doesn't happen as often.  It might be one of my few mods; I'll troubleshoot some other time.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on October 21, 2012, 07:11:18 PM
I haven't checked for log files that would tell me whether it's a crash or an out of memory exception.  It's with mods installed (I did mention with vanilla MC it doesn't happen).  It's when I first start up through MagicLauncher.

I'm just putting up with it for now.  I got an older version of MagicLauncher and now it doesn't happen as often.  It might be one of my few mods; I'll troubleshoot some other time.

When you set vanilla I wasn't sure if that was launched VIA MagicLauncher or not..

Mr. Analog

Doesn't magic launcher have a "test minecraft" mode? (or am I thinking MCPatcher?)

If things are really FUBAR you can download Minecraft again I guess. I had lots of problems getting started (and still do with the EXE) so I use a shortcut to launch Minecraft.

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I tried using the "test minecraft" mode yesterday and nothing broke.

So today I was trying to troubleshoot and it appears to be a problem with dwmapi.dll.  At least, that's what keeps popping up in the Event Viewer.  I'm assuming I've had a Windows Update that changed this file for some reason, or possibly a video driver out of date.

Anyway, I spent 40 minutes trying different versions of java and different mods enabled / disabled.  Finally, I dropped out of the world and died and lost a bunch of diamond tools.  So I used MCPatcher to patch my mods in and then just ran Minecraft directly instead of through the MagicLauncher.  Worked perfect.

I spent another 20 minutes recreating my diamond tools and armour, finding my dive helmet, and then gathering 20+ stacks of clay (boy that goes quick when you can stay under water four times as long!)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

CRAP, then I sat back down just now and it happened again.  Now it's complaining about igd10umd64.dll faulting.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 23, 2012, 09:39:19 PM
CRAP, then I sat back down just now and it happened again.  Now it's complaining about igd10umd64.dll faulting.
Ack. random(ish) crashes in different OS drivers/components? memtest86+ time. igd looks like its part of intel graphics drivers.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I installed DriverMax and it pointed out I have several drivers out of date.  I updated the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M drivers (yes, there's on-board video and an NVIDIA vid chip and they're both enabled).

I then used MCPatcher to hack in my regular mods one by one and I did a lot of connecting / disconnecting and never once ended up falling out of the world or stuck in the ground unable to move (and dying from suffocation).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 24, 2012, 08:54:20 AM
I installed DriverMax and it pointed out I have several drivers out of date.  I updated the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M drivers (yes, there's on-board video and an NVIDIA vid chip and they're both enabled).

I then used MCPatcher to hack in my regular mods one by one and I did a lot of connecting / disconnecting and never once ended up falling out of the world or stuck in the ground unable to move (and dying from suffocation).
I think the suffocation thing on join can be due to the client and server disagreeing about your location after the servers been restarted. Just a hunch. Mind you it hasn't happened to me in a loooooong time.

Thorin

DriverMax: http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/.  It's a program that figures out if you have the latest drivers for all your hardware based on its database of drivers.  When you install it, you have to give it permission to upload the drivers from your machine into the database (if they don't exist there already).  I found it recently while googling for something for work and thought I'd try it out.  Works pretty good, although you have to pay $10 or $11 to go pro if you want to make it as painless as possible.

The suffocation was happening before and after you restarted the server.  After the restart, though, I couldn't mine while suffocating whereas before the restart I could and thus could get out before dying.

Anyway, it appears to have been fixed by updating video drivers.  We'll see in a couple of days of that still holds true.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Steam does a fairly good job of notifying you of outdated video drivers as we..

Thorin

Now my Internet Explorer is randomly crashing.  Wouldn't be bad, but I use it for work occasionally to test the web software I work on - as developers we alternate between IE, FF, and Chrome.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on October 24, 2012, 05:49:17 PM
Now my Internet Explorer is randomly crashing.  Wouldn't be bad, but I use it for work occasionally to test the web software I work on - as developers we alternate between IE, FF, and Chrome.

IE 9 is GPU accelerated is it not?

Thorin

Good point.  I wonder if there's something going on with my NVIDIA GPU.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Thanks Lazy, I think you put me on the right path there.  If I tell NVIDIA Control Panel to use the High-performance NVIDIA processor for Microsoft Internet Explorer, than IE crashes.  If I tell it to use the Integrated graphics, then it's fine.

Now just to figure out why the High-performance NVIDIA processor keeps crashing.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Removed the NVIDIA driver, found the old driver from Dell on their website, installed that, nothing crashes!  Hurray!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom