vanilla map cleanup

Started by Thorin, February 14, 2013, 09:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Is there still a plan to remove unnecessary chunks from the vanilla server's map?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on February 14, 2013, 09:33:16 AM
Is there still a plan to remove unnecessary chunks from the vanilla server's map?

There are still people that play on the vanilla server? ;)

Tom

I've slowly been working on the tool. I actually had it properly loading and able to scan the map, but when starting on support for writing the map back out, the existing loading/handling code was annoying me, so I started on a new class to handle that in a much cleaner less copy/paste prone way. That work is close to written, will just need to spend some time fixing bugs, then I can do the scanning code.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on February 14, 2013, 09:37:42 AM

There are still people that play on the vanilla server? ;)

Yeah, I tried Feed The Beast and was annoyed at and overwhelmed with all of the new options.  I really don't feel like learning seventeen new tech trees just to build something, I'm fine with using vanilla MC building blocks.  However, there is a need to trim the map so that new blocks coming out in the new versions of Minecraft can be found.  And also, if there were less chunks loaded due to people setting and exploring for days, the Overviewer map would be a lot more zoomed in at first glance.

Maybe I'll finally get some good crafting and mining in this weekend, although there's yet another tournament to attend so maybe not...

Tom: is it in a workable state?  Or will it be quite a while yet?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 14, 2013, 09:55:22 AM
I really don't feel like learning seventeen new tech trees just to build something
Start with one, like everyone else :P

Tom: is it in a workable state?  Or will it be quite a while yet?
It's not working right now, but as I said in my last post, the rework is almost done, then I can write the scanner/deleter. The hard work is getting the loading and saving code /right/. I'll need to do some thorough testing to make sure it saves stuff in a way minecraft likes. I got a bunch done earlier this week. Assuming I have as much free time later this week as I had early this week, it won't be too much longer.

Right now (at work) I'm just waiting on another developer to finish some remote/api work, so I can get the app using the new api calls.

Lazybones

Yeah, I tried Feed The Beast and was annoyed at and overwhelmed with all of the new options.  I really don't feel like learning seventeen new tech trees just to build something, I'm fine with using vanilla MC building blocks. 

I know, I was joking hence the ;)..

As far as FTB goes picking one mod that interests you, then picking one item to build and finding out what resources are needed to make it is the way to go. Getting into mixing mods comes later, and the only thing you need to get over is ignoring resources you mine but have no use for.... I started storing all sorts of minerals and metals that I had no use for then came back to them when I found a use for them.

Mr. Analog

The best mod to get started with is probably BuildCraft as it is fairly easy to get the basics started and has a great return on investment for the effort you put in

Other mods like factorization are just pure pain haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 14, 2013, 11:44:53 AM
The best mod to get started with is probably BuildCraft as it is fairly easy to get the basics started and has a great return on investment for the effort you put in

Other mods like factorization are just pure pain haha
Let's move to the pure FTB modpack (rather than DW20), then we can start playing with GregTech.

Mr. Analog

As long as it doesn't break my existing stuff  :)

Oh yes,  I would like to say that I am looking forward to the map cleanup,  including the Nether
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 14, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

Oh yes,  I would like to say that I am looking forward to the map cleanup,  including the Nether
Yeah, I wasn't originally planning on cleaning the nether, but it's kind of silly not to now with all the additions.

As for breakage... if(block.placedBy("Mr_Analog")) { block.delete(); }

;D

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Thorin

See, that's how I feel about my stuff on the vanilla server, including what I've built in the nether.  Don't want it to all just suddenly disappear.  Although if Tom can get me a list of all the places where there are three or more obsidian blocks on top of each other and above level 30 on the overworld, I can at least go back and put everyone's portals back in (and make a nice grid-based tunnel system in the nether while I'm at it).  But I do need to know where those portals are in the overworld, and three obsidian blocks on top of each other above level 30 means portal...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 14, 2013, 08:58:55 PM

See, that's how I feel about my stuff on the vanilla server, including what I've built in the nether.  Don't want it to all just suddenly disappear.  Although if Tom can get me a list of all the places where there are three or more obsidian blocks on top of each other and above level 30 on the overworld, I can at least go back and put everyone's portals back in (and make a nice grid-based tunnel system in the nether while I'm at it).  But I do need to know where those portals are in the overworld, and three obsidian blocks on top of each other above level 30 means portal...

The idea of doing this is so that stuff isn't lost, otherwise I'd have just said, NEW MAP TIME! But the three obsidian blocks on top of each other is a good test, just in case theres a gate in the middle of nowhere with no "odd" placed blocks (stuff that doesn't normally generate automatically).

Thorin

Oh, there are portals in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the air...  So are you going to hand-mark the map or does this tool automate looking for built-up areas?  We could always just go put a netherrack block in every chunk we don't want deleted in the overworld...

Also, NEW MAP TIME would've sucked balls!  I want to keep all the things I've built, and I'm sure everyone else does, too.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful