Upgrading RAM dare I upgrade my video card?

Started by Mr. Analog, December 23, 2020, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So I have two primary systems, my trusty workhorse (Asus Z87 Pro) and my all-in-one gaming rig (Asus ROG G20) I just bought new RAM for my trusty workhorse which is going to improve it quite a bit (both systems are Core i7 BTW) now I'm wondering if I should get my hot little hands on an RTX 3080 and shove it in there for gaming.

I love my ROG G20 but I can't upgrade it due to the small form factor. It runs all the games I have pretty well but there are some things I'd love to check out (like ray tracing, etc) but I'm hesitant to buy a new card for $1700 bucks

What's a nerd to do...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Be conscious of power requirements if you purchase the new card.  Make sure your workhorse has enough juice in the PSU to work with the new card!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 23, 2020, 05:21:55 PMBe conscious of power requirements if you purchase the new card.  Make sure your workhorse has enough juice in the PSU to work with the new card!

And sufficient connectors / the correct type / voltage.. unless you go with a low end card most mid to high cards have an extra power connector and the new RTX 30s have a new connector type.

Mr. Analog

I just bought a new 850 watt power supply so I should be good there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Well, I bought a brand new video card LOL

I seriously couldn't resist especially when Christmas pricing brought it down by $200 may God have mercy on my soul

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm mostly enjoying the RTX 3060 Super I got with my "new" workstation. I think the darn thing is nearly a year old now? sheesh time flies. Sadly theres a hw or firmware conflict between the card and my motherboard that causes lockups in the gpu. So annoying. Nvidia has been aware of it for like 2 years now or more, and didn't bother to even take it seriously till maybe 6-12 months ago. They've made a few fixes in the drivers (I think) and things have been a bit better. Instead of locking up every day or every few days, its like every couple weeks and it's not a complete system lockup, just either the gpu slows down over time or it stops accepting mouse input somehow? meh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I cancelled my order, I'm going to wait for a bigger sale as I have no immediate need for a bigger card anyway

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If anyone is in somewhat desparate need, I have a working R9 390x. Its not super great, but I have no immedate need of it. It performs similar to a RX 580 or a GTX 1060.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Ugh RAM doesn't work with my motherboard, I have an ASUS Z87Pro and this is the memory I bought: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36561

Nothing I read indicated that it wouldn't be compatible so I dunno what

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2021, 06:43:47 PMUgh RAM doesn't work with my motherboard, I have an ASUS Z87Pro and this is the memory I bought: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36561

Nothing I read indicated that it wouldn't be compatible so I dunno what

According to https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/Z87PRO/specifications/
QuoteMemory
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports IntelĀ® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36561 is PC3-12800 (1600MHz) RAM so it should work.

Only thing I can think of is that you are adding the ram to existing ram and they don't play together?

Mr. Analog

That's what I thought but I removed all the sticks and attempted install on two slots then four and it wouldn't even give me a boot code

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2021, 09:36:56 PMThat's what I thought but I removed all the sticks and attempted install on two slots then four and it wouldn't even give me a boot code

If you are not populating ALL 4 of the slots VERY SPECIFIC slots need to be populated for it to work.

The manual for your board shows slots A2 and B2 should be populated if only populating 2 out of the 4 slots.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 06, 2021, 09:39:19 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 06, 2021, 09:36:56 PMThat's what I thought but I removed all the sticks and attempted install on two slots then four and it wouldn't even give me a boot code

If you not populating ALL 4 of the slots VERY SPECIFIC slots need to be populated for it to work.

The manual for your board shows slots A2 and B2 should be populated if only populating 2 out of the 4 slots.
Hmm I thought I tried that but maybe I picked the wrong slots?

Not sure why all 4 wouldn't allow though

By Grabthar's Hammer