Anti-theft devices

Started by Ustauk, August 16, 2006, 10:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

When I went to go pick up my cousin from the bus depot last night, I found my car had been stolen  >:(.  Fortunately, it was found by the police this morning, only twelve blocks away, intact, with the engine still seeming to work as well as before :)   The officer who found my vehicle said he figured the thieves must have been spooked by a patrol cruiser or something and ditched the car shortly after stealing it, since the gas tank was still almost full.  So I've had some bad luck and good luck recently.  Anyways, I'm going to grab a steering wheel lock after work today.  Does anyone have any recommendations or condemnations for a particular model?  Thanks.

Melbosa

Not that they matters which club you get, they all do the same thing.  Just theft deterant. Excess-Cargo {sp?} has them pretty cheep.

So anything wrong with it, ignition, locks, etc?

Another thing to get would be a flashing light on a toggle switch, worked well in the past.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

:o holy crap! Somebody actually stole your car!? I thought it WAS an anti-theft device! :) JUST KIDDING :)

That sucks man, you should proabably get the club or something.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Should probably check if they left anything of value behind ;)

Ustauk

Quote from: Melbosa on August 16, 2006, 10:17:01 AM
Not that they matters which club you get, they all do the same thing.  Just theft deterant. Excess-Cargo {sp?} has them pretty cheep.

So anything wrong with it, ignition, locks, etc?

Another thing to get would be a flashing light on a toggle switch, worked well in the past.
I'll check XSCargo out, thanks.  Where would I find a fake alarm light like you describe?  I was very lucky, in that appears there is no damage to the car.  They either used a slim jim to get in, or else I forgot to lock one of my doors afer dropping Darren off after poker.  I was able to start the car ok with my key, so I think the ignition system is fine, and it appears they didn't  my damage steering column or pop any wires from underneath the dash.  My best guess is they used the same method to start it as Samuel L. Jackson's character did in the movie Die Hard: With a Vengence; a long, skinny knife blade. 

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2006, 10:26:38 AM
:o holy crap! Somebody actually stole your car!? I thought it WAS an anti-theft device! :) JUST KIDDING :)

That sucks man, you should proabably get the club or something.
Quote from: Lazybones on August 16, 2006, 10:30:20 AM
Should probably check if they left anything of value behind ;)
Hardy-har-har :)  All they took was a floor mat and a usb cigarette adapter and cable, that I could see.  My car is still somewhat of an anti-theft device, but only anti-theft-for-profit, not anti-theft-for-joyride/getaway vehicle.  I'm lucky they ditched it before they bagged the hell out of it.  Part of me thinks they ditched the car when they realized the FM radio wasn't working :)  Anywas, I'm glad I still have a car for you all to ridicule :) 

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2006, 10:26:38 AM

My initial thoughts too.

Then also I felt bad for our dear friend... The generous chauffeur of some of us more times than I care to think about.

Blinking light and The Club (XS Cargo <$20.00) would prolly be enough -- was probably some bozos who wanted to go for a ride, obviously too stupid to pick a vehicle with anything pawn-able. (sadly).

Less seriously...
Quote from: Ustauk on August 16, 2006, 11:17:58 AM
Anywas, I'm glad I still have a car for you all to ridicule :) 
I promise to no longer ridicule anything about your Wheels, since there's still your spelling to focus on ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

I'll check XSCargo out, thanks.  Where would I find a fake alarm light like you describe?   

Should be able to get them at JP Power Centers, The Source, Certified, A&B Sound.

Adams

Make sure they did not take your registration... they used that when my car got stolen  (about 3 years ago).
Too bad my parents house at the time was like fort Knox.
They instead decided to go to the neighbours house and ransac that instead.

Sorry to hear about that. I know how you feel. Club does help but you have to remember to put it on. :D
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Ustauk

Quote from: Melbosa on August 16, 2006, 12:06:27 PM
I'll check XSCargo out, thanks.  Where would I find a fake alarm light like you describe?   

Thanks, I'll look that up.

Should be able to get them at JP Power Centers, The Source, Certified, A&B Sound.
Quote from: Adams on August 16, 2006, 01:05:00 PM
Make sure they did not take your registration... they used that when my car got stolen  (about 3 years ago).
Too bad my parents house at the time was like fort Knox.
They instead decided to go to the neighbours house and ransac that instead.

Sorry to hear about that. I know how you feel. Club does help but you have to remember to put it on. :D

At first glance it appeared my registration was there, but I'll double check when I get home.  And I'll have to get used to locking up my steering wheel like I lock up my bike :)

Mr. Analog

We could go to Value Village and pick up some 8-Tracks and put them on your dash as a deterrant :)

Or a big fake turd on the passenger seat.

Or a tiny, yappy dog!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2006, 02:06:55 PM
We could go to Value Village and pick up some 8-Tracks and put them on your dash as a deterrant :)
If you could get me an eight track player with a working FM radio, it'd be an improvement over my current tape deck :)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Ustauk on August 16, 2006, 02:10:21 PM
If you could get me an eight track player with a working FM radio, it'd be an improvement over my current tape deck :)

Edmonton Pick Your Part!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 16, 2006, 02:15:58 PM
Quote from: Ustauk on August 16, 2006, 02:10:21 PM

Edmonton Pick Your Part!
That would require me to have some knowledge of how to replace a car deck :)

Melbosa

Meh, spend $80 and get yourself an MP3 deck.  I can help install it if you need.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on August 16, 2006, 02:30:09 PM
Meh, spend $80 and get yourself an MP3 deck.  I can help install it if you need.

That would triple the value of his car and he'd have to get it insured hehehehe ;) (J/K)
By Grabthar's Hammer