Stock Market Challenge

Started by Bixby, April 18, 2011, 11:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

Years ago, Kathy and I ran a Stock Market challenge. It went something like this:

(1) Participants each paid $50 to the prize pool.
(2) Everyone received $100,000 in play money to invest.
(3) Best portfolio after 6 months won the pot.

This was before mainstream internet websites devoted to investing and such. It was a lot of fun, but Kathy & I had to keep track of the investment portfolios via MS Excel. We have been asked many times to do this again by friends and family. (Cheap way to learn about investing with some friendly competition thrown in).

There are sites that do this, but I do not have any experience with them. Does anyone know of good sites where a good could set up a stock market challenge and each participant could manage their own portfolio?

Let me know if you have any ideas that can help...

Mr. Analog

Not much of a stock market geek, so I dunno, I can think of other ways to get rid of $50 haha :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 18, 2011, 12:12:00 PM
Not much of a stock market geek, so I dunno, I can think of other ways to get rid of $50 haha :D

Neither are we, hence the motivation to do it. ;)

(Last time I considered it a $40 training course in why I do not invest my real money) :D

Mr. Analog

lol, I think I will be investing in Cyberdine Systems and Aperture Science LLC they seem like sure things, I sure hope nothing crazy happens tomorrow...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Google Finance
http://www.google.com/finance/portfolio?action=view&pid=1

You can setup a virtual portfolio and by and sell..

I did this several years ago when I was thinking of playing in the stock market figuring I was fairly good at predicting IT trends. I wish I had...

My Virtual investment: CA$1,224.59   
Current virtual value: CA$3,638.01

Bixby

Quote from: Lazybones on April 18, 2011, 12:53:59 PM
Google Finance
http://www.google.com/finance/portfolio?action=view&pid=1

You can setup a virtual portfolio and by and sell..

I did this several years ago when I was thinking of playing in the stock market figuring I was fairly good at predicting IT trends. I wish I had...

My Virtual investment: CA$1,224.59   
Current virtual value: CA$3,638.01

I was looking for (and could not find) options to manage a group and compare portfolios. Where there is money on the line we need to be able to manage the whole thing as a group of portfolios.

Lazybones

If you are doing real investments many online stock brokers provide those kinds of tools.

For mocking up a few what if portfolios google finance is fine.

Lazybones

FYI Google finance lets you export almost every bit of data to CSV / excel so you can compare that way.

You can set up several portfolios under one account, as for comparing them isn't the only thing that matters the amount in and and the total value at the end?

Bixby

This is strictly play money. The problem is having discrete access to portfolios.

Each contestant will need to be able to add/subtract to their portfolio incurring brokerage fees while not being able to modify the portfolios of others. Hence the need for multiple accounts / portfolios within a group. It will prevent one person from having to import a CSV per contestant each week of the contest to report on the progress and leaderboard. Hope that makes sense.

Lazybones

Quote from: Bixby on April 18, 2011, 02:41:22 PM
This is strictly play money. The problem is having discrete access to portfolios.

Each contestant will need to be able to add/subtract to their portfolio incurring brokerage fees while not being able to modify the portfolios of others. Hence the need for multiple accounts / portfolios within a group. It will prevent one person from having to import a CSV per contestant each week of the contest to report on the progress and leaderboard. Hope that makes sense.

I don't think you will find something that works the way you want.
Two options for the game:
1. Each trader runs their own Google account and exports a CSV for the weekly status to the person running the game to post a combined report. (summary and transactions)
2. One person RUNS the game as the Broker and setup separate portfolios for each user.. Users then send Buy / Sell requests to the broker...

Bixby

I think my search is over. I posted this question on another forum and they suggested:
http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/Homepage.aspx

Just have to explore the options a bit.

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. Very much appreciate. Hopefully this does the trick!