Advanced 4-legged robot

Started by Cova, March 17, 2008, 04:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cova

This thing kicks serious ass - I didn't know they had walking robots this advanced yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

Melbosa

Very Kewl.  Checked out the RHex too while on YouTube.  Neat little robot as well.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Wow, that's pretty good recovery when it gets kicked from the side and when it's slipping on the ice.  Now make 'em horse-sized and put in a compartment for my bowler hat...  It's Diamond Age time!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Holy @%&#, the Rebels are @%&#ed!

Things have come a long way from the clumsy attempts of the 90s.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Watching the robot recover itself on the ice was the best thing ever. Sure, it's noisy but that's really impressive!

Thorin

I think it's funny that it's gasoline powered :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Cova

Quote from: Thorin on March 18, 2008, 03:25:30 AM
I think it's funny that it's gasoline powered :P

Gas engines still have the advantage of being easy to refuel when they're empty - batteries don't recharge nearly as fast.  Since this thing is being developed to be a pack-horse type robot for the military, being able to easily re-fill it on the field is probably an important consideration.  And when its closer to complete and has its casing/armor on, it'll probably be a lot quieter too.

And I agree - the icy part was my favorite.  It almost went down, but kept the cargo bags on the sides from ever taking any impact, and did eventually get off the ice and walk away.  I also like the jumping bit at the end - hints at what it might be capable of with more development - now its got me imagining it jumping over cars and crazy @%&#.

Thorin

Gas engines can also be made quite efficient when they run at a single speed.  In this case, it's probably just working as an electricity generator for the robot.  But it's the only gas-powered robot I've ever seen - all the other ones were always full of battery packs.  And you'd think the army would be interested in using less gasoline instead of more, given the pressure on the supply.

In the end, horses and mules are still cheaper to maintain, more reliable to use, and have an easier-to-access and possibly more plentiful fuel source.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 02, 2008, 09:14:38 PM
toothbrush bristle robot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSTXUis_ys

I think this thread has become the unofficial "latest robot/android news" thread.

Therefore...

Ontario's inventor's boring* plans for lady robot

*just mocking the headline ("Modest inventor shies from sex, hopes his lady robot will be used for good") -- I'm actually impressed that the reporter would acknowledge the elephant in the room...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I don't even know where to start here...
By Grabthar's Hammer