PlayStationPortable (PSP)

Started by Shayne, March 07, 2005, 12:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

So ive been looking at this "gadget" with GREAT interest.  Its seems to be the perfect fusion of gaming+technology+portability.  I have a few concerns though:

1.  Price
2.  Games

...as most RW members know im hardcore simulation from my choice in FPS to Racing to Sports, so when i look over the games list over at Gamespot and see a lack of a GT1/2/3 port or even a Madden/Links i cant help be a little sad.

So, is anyone here looking at picking one of these badboys up?

Shayne

Scratch that, their is a GT4 coming to the PSP, even a GTA.  *shiver with excitement*

Lazybones

I would have to see its size in hand, I really like clam shell style units like my cell phone or the GBA/DS. I remember seeing so many scratched screens on my old portable systems or friends who had cracked theirs.

I am really not all that interested in any of the current console portables. What I really want is a PDA/Phone with a clam shell design that doesn't SUCK!. Moto has 2 units out or will that come so close to perfection but fall hard on 1 or 2 show stoppers.

Razor V3: Slim, can play MP3 and VIDEO.. PDA like features BUT NOT A PDA.. You can't change its software from what I understand.

MPx300: Runs PocketPc OS, true PDA, folds both ways for easy typing or phone use. Only 32MB of system memory and about 10MB or less free with OS and phone tools running on boot. Prevents any real Pockect PC apps from running and forces the user to rest the phone to free up memory when doing heavy multi tasking.

I hear that the PSP might get a phone addon later, but I don't see it catching on.

Shayne

I have a phone.  I want my phone to be a phone, and nothing more then a phone :P

I perfer to keep functionality seperate, makes for much better implementation of functionality.  No real *sacrifices* have to be made.

Mr. Analog

The price is... exorbetant. If you get the "Value Pak" it's more than a brand new PS2, of course, I have very little desire to return to portable gaming anyway.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"I have a phone.  I want my phone to be a phone, and nothing more then a phone :P

I perfer to keep functionality seperate, makes for much better implementation of functionality.  No real *sacrifices* have to be made.
True.. There are some things that I think should be seperate. But I also don't like having a utility belt of devices.

Why they put cameras in the phones, I don't know, but having a PDA and a Phone seems OK to me.. Hell to be usefull both those devices need to be with you at all times. I hate cliping more than one to my belt or filling my pockets.

This takes me back to portability. the PSP looks large. This is great for having a big gaming screen but once its in its case, how much pocket space does it take?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Lazybones"Why they put cameras in the phones
To keep the Japanese "upskirt" website industry healthy?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Im not looking at it as a "take everywhere" device like my phone and my iPod, but im concidering it as a way to game in the bedroom, or at my grandparents, or during those train rides.  I carry a brief case anyways, so it would go in there i think.

The price is rough, and really, thats my ownly serious stumbling block.  The idea of paying for games again sorta turns me off (at least till a mod is available).

As for a camera combination of anything is a massive waste.  What i get out of my 5.1MP Sony cant be ever compared to anything in the combo market.

I had a PDA, but never used it.  I can remember my own appointments, and my phone carries my phonebook/contact list.  So a PDA for me just wouldnt be used, it would turn more into a paperweight then anything...maybe a D&D dice roller :P (mucho expensivo dice roller)

Just curious to others views on this device.  It sure is sexy looking...

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"MPx300: Runs PocketPc OS, true PDA, folds both ways for easy typing or phone use. Only 32MB of system memory and about 10MB or less free with OS and phone tools running on boot. Prevents any real Pockect PC apps from running and forces the user to rest the phone to free up memory when doing heavy multi tasking.
For those who are really interested in what people are saying, ehre is a forum topic discussing the MPX - with 1430 posts and counting...
http://www.howardforums.com/printthread.ph...15&pagenumber=1

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"For those who are really interested in what people are saying, ehre is a forum topic discussing the MPX - with 1430 posts and counting...
I remember reading some back story on that machine and you cant help but wonder what could have been.  I remember seeing reports of 64-128MB of memory and a double speed processor...talk about a "be all, end all" portable machine.  Give it the ability to use like a memory stick for storage...*drool*

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"
Quote from: "Darren Dirt"For those who are really interested in what people are saying, ehre is a forum topic discussing the MPX - with 1430 posts and counting...
I remember reading some back story on that machine and you cant help but wonder what could have been.  I remember seeing reports of 64-128MB of memory and a double speed processor...talk about a "be all, end all" portable machine.  Give it the ability to use like a memory stick for storage...*drool*
Sorry for getting us so off topic.. This would be a hard thread to split nicely.

1. The MPX300 has an SD slot so its storage can be expanded and it has MP3 playback controls on the out side.
2. A new version with the slim Profile of the RAZOR V3 might be in the works.
3. Those that have them say it would be perfect if it where not for the missing memory.. It has an amazing formfactor..  I can't see my self holding up a normal PDA to my ear as a phone.. I don't even like regular candy bar style phones.

Now back to topic A.

The price of the PSP is HIGH but so was the GameBoy when it came out. $150 CAN on release and the only game I had for a while was Tetris! If you compare the PSP to other portable Video systems (DVD, MPG) AND the price of a game system, it seems a little better.

Tonnica

Be forewarned - the PSP release has been riddled with some questionable technical difficulties. The most notable being the square button not seeming to work very well and Sony suggesting it's "supposed" to be that way.

I see some glint of merit in the PSP but I can also reason that I don't want to buy games I enjoy and already own twice. I already own GT4 and don't think I need to haul it to work with me.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

I played with one over at SuperStore today.  Not a bad little machine.  I have no intention of getting one at this point in time, but come the fall with some high quality titles (maybe some Final Fantasy ports (7,8,9,10)) and just maybe

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"I played with one over at SuperStore today.  Not a bad little machine.  I have no intention of getting one at this point in time, but come the fall with some high quality titles (maybe some Final Fantasy ports (7,8,9,10)) and just maybe
So did I, great screen, but I as well have no intention of getting one.