Sony thinks they get Emmy for PS3

Started by Melbosa, January 10, 2007, 03:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

http://www.hydrapinion.com/index.php/create/2007/01/09/

QuoteSIXAXIS innovation Emmy - a joke? (UPDATE: Sony was wrong)
Overnight, Sony Computer Entertainment America released news that the Playstation 3's SIXAXIS controller would be receiving a Technology & Engineering Emmy Award. In SCEA's own words, the controller "features motion-sensing technology to detect natural and intuitive movements for real-time and high precision interactive play, acting as a natural extension of the user's body."

I've been trying to chase up with the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences the exact details of this award. Because for the SIXAXIS controller to win any kind of innovation award feels like a joke when we have a far more deserving winner in the Nintendo Wiimote and Nunchuk arrangement.

Even to the casual observer, the SIXAXIS is far from the most innovative design.

From what I have found, there are two ways this could have happened. In one format, tech is submitted for consideration. I can understand Nintendo may have overlooked the idea of submitting the Wiimote. But surely the judging panel must assess any innovation in the light of its own industry and the other technologies that have appeared in recent times? These awards can't be judged in a vacuum!

Second, there is a panel of experts who recommend technologies for nomination. In this instance, I think it must be time to sack the so-called experts in this field...

Either way, SCEA, I'm having a hard time stomaching a release that lauds a victory that rings of terrible judgement from the award panel. I'll look to update this story later today with any details I receive from NATAS as to what exactly has been won and how it was judged.

UPDATE: Cheryl Daly from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (I forgot the 'National' on first posting, which was a big error -- didn't realise there are two different organisations who give out Emmys) filled in two details for us. (1) The SIXAXIS won the award for "peripheral development and technological impact of video game controllers", and (2) this was a panel selected award, not a Sony submission. She could not tell us what else was considered.

So it seems a panel thought it most worthy. What could possibly make the SIXAXIS trump the Wiimote? The ONLY aspect possible is its use of a combination of gyros and accelerometers for its motion sensitivity. Are gyros really enough to give it a 'technological impact' award?

UPDATE 2: A follow up message from Christine Chin from NATAS tells us Sony has it all wrong. The award was for the original dual shock controller. Here is her message in full:

I understand you had contacted Cheryl Daly, Director of Communications at NATAS to confirm if Sony won for their PS3 controller. This is incorrect, Sony won for their dual shock analog controller. The award is from the Video Game Technology Group. It was nominated by our internal group and considered along with the Nintendo D-Pad both of which were considered Emmy worthy for the development of the generation of controllers that followed the classic joysticks.

I would like to confirm that Sony did not win for their PS3 controller, they won for their Dual Shock Analog controller.

So there you have it. This makes a lot more sense, and Sony's press release was flat out incorrect. Best case, an error. Worst case...

Christine also said she will clarify this with Sony.

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

QuoteUPDATE 2: A follow up message from Christine Chin from NATAS tells us Sony has it all wrong. The award was for the original dual shock controller. Here is her message in full:

Ya, that is the best part. I was following this, but I thought we had met our Sony bashing quota. I forgot it was a new year. ;)

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on January 10, 2007, 03:50:59 PM
QuoteUPDATE 2: A follow up message from Christine Chin from NATAS tells us Sony has it all wrong. The award was for the original dual shock controller. Here is her message in full:

Ya, that is the best part. I was following this, but I thought we had met our Sony bashing quota. I forgot it was a new year. ;)

LOL -- that's like, so awesome! Sony got recognized for innovative technology!
...from last millenium... ;)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 10, 2007, 04:15:54 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on January 10, 2007, 03:52:31 PM
Here is the list of awards for Technology and Engineering:

http://www.emmyonline.org/emmy/advmedia_winners_release.html

404'd

http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/404'd ;D

PS: Since there is such confusion in these awards (being the same name as the TV thingie) I suggest Cisco's lawyers get involved ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.