HMV Canada is no more

Started by Mr. Analog, June 27, 2011, 08:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Despite being rated as Canada's "best" music store for something like 20 years HMV Canada has been sold off.

Some thoughts on this:

• HMV was consistently overpriced
  • In-store stock and variety of music diminished over time
  • Outlasted it's competitors (Sam the Record Man, MusicWorld, A&B Sound, etc)
  • Probably the last surviving chain of "in-mall" music stores in Canada

I don't remember the name of the company buying them out, they're UK based, but I can't help but wonder how much time this kind of retail chain has left at all (given the options of buying music online, at box stores or at small independent record stores).

I have fond memories of the HMV in Eaton's Centre, it had a second area just for classical/jazz back in the late 90s, I used to go there all the time. I still lament the closure of A&B Sound, that was a great place to browse music hear new stuff and talk to people.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

imo overpriced for NEW stuff (and current-best-sellers), sure. But it was like crack for me when I wanted to find a cheap DVD, so often it would be "2 for $15" or even "2 for $10" lately, I'd end up finding like 4 or 6 titles that I'd been meaning to get around to watching, for $5-$7 hard to say no.

Now it's gonna have to be Future Shop (or Safeway!) for those bargain-priced DVDs I guess.

...funny thing is, Christmas 2009 gave HMV gift cards to each of my kids, how fast things change... cuz I agree, hard to imagine this particular business format surviving much longer in the malls. Seems nowadays if you're not selling high-markup clothes, it's tough to afford the high rent.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Donut was talking about how there are no record stores in LA anymore, I think that trend is creeping its way to Canada.

Oddly we're one of the few places in the world that still has in-mall bookstores (like Coles) around, everywhere else has either shifted to box stores, independent booksellers or online shopping.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 27, 2011, 08:49:12 AM
Now it's gonna have to be Future Shop (or Safeway!) for those bargain-priced DVDs I guess.

SuperStore has large bins of them as well, and now BlueRay are staring to appear (previously viewed).
Walmart and Zellars as well.

Not that I purchase much anymore... Lost of random older stuff I can watch on Netflix on a whim.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on June 27, 2011, 10:49:15 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 27, 2011, 08:49:12 AM

SuperStore has large bins of them as well, and now BlueRay are staring to appear (previously viewed).
Walmart and Zellars as well.

Not that I purchase much anymore... Lost of random older stuff I can watch on Netflix on a whim.

Superstoe and Walmart seem to only have crappy selection most of the time, but surprising how many gems I've found at Safeway! Occasionally XSCargo as well.

I'm weird, I still like to "own" physical stuff, especially if it's under 10 bucks. Fun to lay out 3 or 4 DVD cases, and ask my son (or myself) what genre of movie in the mood for tonight, and be able to instantly watch it, no worry about Telus being pissy re. internet connectivity ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'm still somewhat into physical media too but mainly for transportability. I mean, I can take a couple DVDs over to my folks place and just pop it in the DVD player without having to worry about what codecs they may or may not have installed :D

Now when those compatibility issues get ironed out I probably won't have a reason to buy physical copies of anything.
By Grabthar's Hammer