Wii (strum and fret)...

Started by Darren Dirt, July 07, 2008, 04:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Rock Band for the Wii is FINALLY out ! (?)

... Well, since I'm on the verge of considering maybe letting my brain ponder the possibility of Mii and the little ones starting up a little Partridge Family of our own ;) ...

-BUT FIRST, THE REVIEWS!

Then there are the huge features that have been stripped out. This is a port of the gutted PS2 version, not the robust 360 or PS3 versions. It has no online capabilty at all, so there's no downloadable content. Granted, you can purchase 20 more songs on the upcoming Rock Band Track Pack, but that can't take the place of choosing exactly the tunes you want from a library of literally hundreds of songs. And even if it did, what can you say about the loss of online multiplayer? Or of the fact that you can't customize your character and the World Tour mode doesn't let you choose where to go next. "Argh". That's what you can say.

However - and this is where we justify still giving the game an 8 - these shortcomings only suck when compared to other versions of Rock Band. This is still one of the finest multiplayer games in history.

...guitar, which when played solo in Rock Band, isn't must different from Guitar Hero - well, other than the fact that it lacks Guitar Hero III's soul-crushing technical difficulty.

It's called Rock Band and not Rock Soloist for a reason - you gotta do this with other people to truly appreciate it. There's something almost intangible about four people in the same room, jumping and screaming and saving each other from humiliation - and it's something that this game and this game alone enables. Part of the co-op game is working together and keeping an eye on your bandmates who might be struggling; your timely intervention can give them a boost and keep them in the game, or bring them back after they fail. Damned if you don't feel like you're actually making music - which is the developer's not-so-secret goal, but who'd have thought they'd pull it off? It makes GHIII feel like homework, a technical chore you have to do. Rock Band, meanwhile, feels downright inspiring.

As we've mentioned, the Wii version is more like the wimpier PS2 version thanks to a stripped down World Tour mode and the absence of both character customization, and any sort of online play or downloadable content.

The list of tracks skews toward classic rock - The Rolling Stones, Blue Oyster Cult, um, Mountain - for a total of 63 songs, most of which are original recordings from famous artists. That should keep you busy for awhile even without added downloadable songs - though our experience has shown that once you get through "Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws, you'll probably never want to play, hear, or even think about it again. So effectively, it's 62 songs.

The experience is well worth its $169 asking price (in the US, at least) and makes for one of the most rewarding co-op events you could ask for. This is the perfectly polished, logical extension of what Guitar Hero started and where the music genre needed to go. It's a real shame to see the Wii version stripped of some of the game's best features, but it still just flat-out rocks.
- GamesRadar.com review (23Jun2008)
http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/rock-band/review/rock-band/a-2008062311442072183228/g-20080324111047461059
http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/rock-band/review/rock-band/a-2008062311442072183228/g-20080324111047461059/p-2

The good news for Wii owners is that the core of that experience (playing sweet, sweet music together) is still very much intact and is as enjoyable and rewarding as ever. The bad news is that the character creator, online play, downloadable content and city-by-city world tour didn't make it on the bus.

And while we're on the topic of the shortcomings of the Wii version, we might as well get the technical issues out of the way. Not surprisingly, Rock Band on the Wii is not nearly as sharp, vibrant or visually stimulating as the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions. Also, the audio will crackle or stutter if there is too much happening on screen, but this doesn't happen enough to every be a serious issue. The concert scenes that play during each performance have a very grainy quality to them as well, and the general poor video quality makes picking up notes (specifically hammer-ons and pull-offs) a bit more difficult than it should be. All in all, the game doesn't look great, but it still plays beautifully, and that's where the game still kills.

While the wireless guitar and mic are identical to those found on other consoles, the white, Wii drums come equipped with softer, springier pads, which are not only quieter but are a bit more responsive as well. The special edition version of the game comes with a guitar, drum kit and sticks, microphone and a USB hub (which you will need if you plan on playing the game with three other people).

Song wise, the game includes 63 titles to choose from, five more than the original batch released with other console versions. There are also more than a dozen bonus tracks that can be unlocked as well. The song selection covers a variety of genres and styles, and even though some of the selections will have rock snobs smashing their guitars in an elitist rage ("All American Rejects next to the Who and David Bowie?! Disgraceful!"), you will rarely, if ever, be anything less than thoroughly entertained.

As you move through each batch of songs, you will be pushed to play faster, longer and generally just rock a whole lot more. Even though the game is far more forgiving than other Guitar Hero installments, your fingers will still need to be on their toes if you want to finish the game on the harder difficulty settings.

It is sort of a bummer not having that extra ounce of immersion that comes from seeing your personalized character kicking a tasty jam on stage or purchasing new guitars and outfits with money earned from a good night's rocking, and not having access to new songs every week means you will be stuck with the same set of songs until expansion packs are released. However, if you have never played Rock Band before, and you need to get your rock fix while you wait for the online-supported Guitar Hero World Tour, then these bells and whistles will quickly fade from your mind the moment you and your friends find your groove on a classic tune.
- G4TV (26Jun2008)

Eight grueling months-that's how long Wii owners have had to suffer without Rock Band. While their PS3 and Xbox 360 counterparts have been partaking of the rock and/or roll to their heart's content, Wii owners have been denied sweet, sweet rhythm game perfection.

Well, the wait is finally over and the members of the Nintendo Nation need suffer no longer: the Wii version of Rock Band is finally here and as you can guess, it rocks.

The first thing the naysayers are going to point out about the Wii version of Rock Band is its obvious shortcomings compared to the other versions. With so much content crammed on to a much smaller disc, some corners definitely had to be cut in order to maintain the full musical gaming experience. Character, band and guitar customization has been completely removed, as well as online play and downloadable content. The graphics have taken a slight hit, with blocky characters rocking out against pre-rendered backgrounds.

Stlyish as they may be, there were a few things about the design of the Wii guitars that bothered me. They're identical in quality to those featured on the other platforms but they rely upon a bulky dongle for wireless functionality. Rock Band clutters up your living room enough as it is and I really wish they'd figured out a way to integrate the wireless receivers into the unit itself.

Thankfully, the gameplay hasn't changed a bit and the game is still an absolute blast. Despite the dongle, the Wii guitars are stylish and responsive, the drum set is stable and resilient to even the most hardcore drum solos, and the mic is sensitive enough to pick up even the screechiest vocals. The game's soundtrack is well stocked with a catalogue of 63 songs that sound fantastic.

The only reason a Wii owner has to not invest in Rock Band is if they already own the 360 or PS3 version; otherwise, it's a no-brainer for sure.

PROS: Same fantastic gameplay, amazing multiplayer, sleek Wii instruments
CONS: Lack of online play, no band customization, less than stellar visuals
- GamePro

^ sampling from metacritic (81%)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Well, it certainly looks fun. Is it something you can rent and try out first?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 08, 2008, 08:12:35 AM
Well, it certainly looks fun. Is it something you can rent and try out first?

A number of times Future Schlock had an Xbox360 version of RB at the front of their store; me and Kendell rocked out a few dozen times and Cheyenne desperately tried to do more than fumble badly on the drums but in the privacy of our home with the assistance of a tutorial level or two and some dedication I think she might give Mike Portnoy a run for his money ;)

Plus after watching that infamous clip of Conan wandering around backstage during the writer's strike, when he sings "Sabotage" in an Edith Bunker voice, I think I was hooked ;D

Mr. Analog

ROFL

Ah, good times indeed.

No, I meant, does Blockbuster rent that game and equipment out? Trying it for a weekend might tell you a lot...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

You can consult your local RW Admin - I think he might have GHIII, GH Aerosmith, and Rockband for the 360 to try ... :P

<------------------- RW Admin :P
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I'm pretty sure he's got a Wii, and he's looking at Rock Band for the Wii.  Unless you plan on lending him your XBOX360 along with Rock Band?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on July 08, 2008, 04:16:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he's got a Wii, and he's looking at Rock Band for the Wii.

Ding, ding! We have a winner! ;)

Melbosa

I'm pretty sure he's got a Wii, and he's looking at Rock Band for the Wii.  Unless you plan on lending him your XBOX360 along with Rock Band?

Shush!

LOL, actually my response was to Mr. Analog's question about renting it, as Mr. Analog does have a 360.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on July 09, 2008, 08:14:27 AM

Shush!

LOL, actually my response was to Mr. Analog's question about renting it, as Mr. Analog does have a 360.
I'm not quite sure the two games are 100% comparable though?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on July 09, 2008, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on July 09, 2008, 08:14:27 AM

Shush!

I'm not quite sure the two games are 100% comparable though?

Other than the downloaded content, the games themselves are identical.  And once you can purchase the Wii supplement disc for music, you will only be a couple of months behind.  I've played on both, and they are pretty much identical.  The Guitar might be a bit smaller, but other than that no difference that I could tell.