Main Menu

Google Movies!

Started by Mr. Analog, February 23, 2005, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Google is going to launch a service like Google News that scrapes movie review sites and collates the data for you. How effective that will be I can't say but it sounds like an interesting future feature.

Read about it here.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

You are too quick on the draw Mr. A. I was going to post abotu this. ;)

Anyway I thought I would give it a test and my search for boy robot turned up the first two movies that I had in my head, not bad.

Mr. Analog

Astroy Boy? Wow, not even on the first page, then again, there never was an Astro Boy movie...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

www.rottentomatoes.com
www.metacritic.com

...while not scraped (or at least i dont think so)...they are the same thing basically?!?

Shayne

A quick test....

Dumb & Dumberer

Google: 1.4 / 5 - Based on 48 reviews
Metacritic: 19/100 (1.0/5) - Based on 28 reviews
Rottentomatoes: 2.7/10 (1.4/5) - Reviews counted: 113
IMDB: 3.3/10 (1.7/5) - 4,315 votes

...though the phrazing feature is very nice.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"www.rottentomatoes.com
www.metacritic.com

...while not scraped (or at least i dont think so)...they are the same thing basically?!?
Not sure about the review rating (looks ok based on your other post) but it could be very useful for Finding the name of a movie based on some small details you remember.

Hence my boy robot example.. Then again I knew the answer to that one.

Shayne

do a search for "Cat attacks Dog"  while vague i can agree, but Dawn of the Dead is #2 on the list, Incident at Loch Ness #4, Son of Mask #5....as far as i can recall their are no dogs or cats in it.

"Blood Clotting Disease" i was hoping would bring up Andromeda, it being an old movie and all...no results.  *shrug*  Its gotta be in the review for it to pick up the words.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shayne"do a search for "Cat attacks Dog"  while vague i can agree, but Dawn of the Dead is #2 on the list, Incident at Loch Ness #4, Son of Mask #5....as far as i can recall their are no dogs or cats in it.

"Blood Clotting Disease" i was hoping would bring up Andromeda, it being an old movie and all...no results.  *shrug*  Its gotta be in the review for it to pick up the words.
I found that putting Andromeda Strain as keywords I could not get the movie, instead it gave me an Outbreak review that contained a comparison to the Andromeda Strain
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Worst Movie doesn't seem to get what you would think, although there where some rather bad ones listed.

If does appear that it only searches review text.  Still useful if you know that the movie was about.

Maybe the sources for reviews are only for theater releases and therefore would only have more current movies only going back so far.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"You are too quick on the draw Mr. A. I was going to post abotu this. ;)

Anyway I thought I would give it a test and my search for boy robot turned up the first two movies that I had in my head, not bad.
When you look at the reviews themselves, itsanice andaquick and clean interface (no surprise, eat that /\/\$!)

I guess this and Metacritic and RottenTomatoes will save us money wasted on banal Hollywood trash. No offense to any Lucas fanboiz ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"www.rottentomatoes.com
www.metacritic.com

I see the Google interface beneficial cuz you will stumble upon "similarly-themed" movies, like the aforementioned "boy robot", you see DARYL in there along with Iron Giant... Who knew?

- - -

Hmm, I wonder what will come up with this: What do you mean, Bubble Boy!? How offensive! I guess it needs work ;)

Maybe I'll just go make myself feel better by Consuming Some More Happy Product...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"...its a nice and a quick and clean interface (no surprise, eat that /\/\$!)
I almost perfer the new MSN search.  The only thing it lacks is a really good spell check.  I find that the new MSN search is better indexed then Google.  (just saying)

http://search.msn.com

Mr. Analog

I hate the MS search for various reasons, mostly UI related but also search result "order" and even the results themselves beg questions about Microsoft's ranking system.

Google is far from perfect, and it gets slightly worse and worse every day, however it's still head and shoulders above other search engines.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"
Quote from: "Darren Dirt"...its a nice and a quick and clean interface (no surprise, eat that /\/\$!)
I almost perfer the new MSN search.  The only thing it lacks is a really good spell check.  I find that the new MSN search is better indexed then Google.  (just saying)

http://search.msn.com
Hmm MS seems to be pulling out all the stops and making a good search engine now..

Fun thing:

Compare the result for 'boy robot'. in both. MSN comes up with Astro Boy as MR. A. pointed out Google Movies didn't, but thats the ONLY thing it comes up with.

Also ALL of the Astro Boy results point to http://entertainment.msn.com and don't even contain any information about Astro Boy.

I saw an early review of the new MSN search and it turns out that most of the time it will fall back to MS sites if there are no matches in the INDEX or some sections only INDEX MS partner sites.

Almost all of Googles hits are general in nature. And their services often are indexes of public information such as the news groups and maps. Where as MSN groups are well. MSN groups not part of the general NNTP network.

Shayne

Our clients have seen better results for placement in MSN.  Which is a HUGE deal seeing as by default your IE points to MSN.  So this change has been good for us.

/me still uses google.

Lazybones

Getting better placement for your business, and returning the most valid search results are totally different things.

As I said the new MSN search is looking good but I still prefer Google.

Shayne

I used to use a metacrawler many years ago.  I just checked it out today, its not that bad still.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"I used to use a metacrawler many years ago.  I just checked it out today, its not that bad still.
Ya, metacrawler was all I used for a long time.. I have become very comfortable with tweaking my Google searches to get what I want.

Sticking quotes around search text is probably one of the most under used features of Google and other search engines.

Mr. Analog

Metacrawler was my favourite for a long time, I used to really enjoy watching MetaSpy too ;)

I found that over time their database become choc full of redundant or broken links, at that time Google was in beta and I switched to that (probably 5 years now!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: "Shayne"/me
So what does "/me" mean?  I'm guessing its a WoW command...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Thorin"
In most MMORPGs it means "emote"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"
Quote from: "Thorin"
In most MMORPGs it means "emote"
it also works in many IRC and IM clients.

Usually makes chat look something like:

<n00b>Hi all where to I get Warez
* JCool hits n00b with a fish
<JCool>Wrong channel man.

Where JCool would have typed /me hits n00b with a fish.

It's a way of expressing (or emoting) an action instead of saying something.

Thorin

See, I would've figured that'd be /em.  That's what I remember from MajorBBS those many years ago before the web as we know it was invented (yes, I know there was ftp and gopher and archie, but graphical web pages did not yet exist!).  Good old 1200 baud.  And that was an upgrade for the early adopters...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Over time it was realised that if you were in a hurry you might mistype /me instead so IRC (and BBS I suppose) implemented both.

Coz iz not like thar isn''t teh od speeling erorr!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Since being away from RW my WoW guild spent a lot of time in IRC.  Sorta got used to it i suppose.