Anyone want to do a raid with me? Plus: new drowned farm.

Started by LennyLen, July 24, 2022, 07:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyLen

I have a conduit, but in order to activate it I need some prismarine.  The two underwater ruins I know of don't have any, so that leaves the ocean monument near my item farm.  I don't think I'm capable of taking on one by myself so I was wondering if anyone would like to do it with me.  I was thinking of in a week's time or so, which should give me some time to craft tridents for anyone who wants to join in.

And the tridents part brings me in to the second part of this post - I now have a drowned farm that can produce tridents as well as nautilus shells, copper, fishing rods and a ton of rotten flesh.  It's also an XP farm since tridents can only drop if a drowned is killed by a player.

I followed this guide to building one as it seemed the most effective one I came across.  It wasn't a difficult build, but I wouldn't describe it as easy as the video does, at least not in survival mode. It did take quite a while to build though. One stage involved placing and opening 1000+ gates.

Mine is only running at about 70% efficiency as one corner of it is actually in a desert biome so drowned won't spawn in that part of it. It still runs pretty well though, as it generated the following in an hour (with some of that time spent afk):

It's also very good as an xp generator. The spawn rate is faster than at the zombie spawner, with the cramming cap being reached in about a minute.

I created a portal near the farm, and have linked it in to the spawn portal for anyone who wants to use it.

Mr. Analog

This sounds like a lot of fun! I'll need to get brewing potions first I guess but yeah let's do it!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 24, 2022, 08:01:08 AMThis sounds like a lot of fun! I'll need to get brewing potions first I guess but yeah let's do it!

Yes some potions would be good.  I need to get back to the nether fortress to get my brewing station set up.  I'll try sometime this week.

LennyLen

I scoured the entirety of the first nether fortress and couldn't find any staircases, so no nether wart.  I then traveled to the next one out and found some there, so I've started production of it.  I've left two stacks of both netherwart and soul sand in one of the spawn chests so others can get their own production started.

Tomorrow I'll get started on a blaze farm to start supplying rods.

edit:

I played a bit more tonight and did some brewing, so I can provide the following for the raid:

15 x extended water breathing
15 x extended night vision
15 x enhanced speed
15 x enhanced instant healing

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I spent some time tonight practicing with a trident underwater.  I've crafted one with Impaling V, Loyalty II and unbreaking II, and the loyalty enchantment is awesome. If I hit a target at close range, the trident returns to me almost instantly, at mid range it only takes about a second to return, and if I aim it at about 45 degrees and let it go as far as it can, it takes about 3 seconds to return.

Impaling V adds 12.5 damage to attacks (making a total damage of 20.5 for ranged attacks and 21.5 for melee attacks) against aquatic mobs. I've only been practicing against fish so far, so the extra damage has probably been wasted on them, but it's been very satisfying taking them out from a distance, and it's definitely a more entertaining way of fishing than using a rod. It's quicker too.

I'm getting pretty accurate at aiming with the trident while I'm standing on something, but am having a bit more trouble trying to aim while I'm moving and trying not to sink. Luckily I have Depth Strider on my boots which makes moving underwater easier.  So at this point, I'm pretty confident that I won't be totally terrible going up against guardians and elder guardians, especially if I practice some evasive maneuvers a bit more.

edit:

The trident works well from land also:

Lazybones

Haven't been in the mood for minecraft lately and have been playing some other games. Love seeing these updates.

LennyLen

Quote from: Lazybones on August 08, 2022, 01:53:41 AMHaven't been in the mood for minecraft lately and have been playing some other games. Love seeing these updates.

Glad to be of service. :)

LennyLen

How does next weekend sound? I have from early Friday until early Tuesday, MDT, free, so any time in that timeframe works for me.

Mr. Analog

I might be at my folks that weekend but if not it sounds fun!
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

In preparation, I've constructed a platform we can launch from near the monument.  It has chests of potions and gear for the raid.