Google Domain Registrar and Dynamic DNS support.

Started by Lazybones, December 14, 2022, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

So Google Domains came out of beta this year.. I have been slightly annoyed at higher prices at rebel.ca so I was looking around and found it.

I have also been using zoneedit.com to host my DNS for Dynamic DNS support. Turns out Google Domains supports dynamic DNS clients.

I am in the middle of porting my domain so I will report the results but it looks like I will be able to consolidate domain registration and DNS with DYDNS on google. Doing some quick checks my Edgerouter client supports the a compatible DYNDNS protocol so this should be a nice setup.

Plus so far is the bare clean interface, and lack of ads / upsell that EVERY domain registrar has.

Lazybones

Domain transfer went smoothly.

I setup my DNS records in Google.

Setup of the Dynamic DNS was a little flaky as it didn't quite match the documentation in googles own help and I had to fiddle with my edgerouter a bit (nothing new) but got it all working.

Over all a positive process.

Mr. Analog

I'm going to look into this because Network Solutions is THE worst
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Interesting that my google .ca domain registration appears in Whois as good old Tucows.com Co. not Google directly.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

WELL FU$# https://9to5google.com/2023/06/15/google-domains-squarespace/

"In an unexpected announcement today, Google Domains is "winding down following a transition period," with Squarespace taking over the business and assets."

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I think at this point chrome, gmail, search and maps are the only google services I plan to keep using.. However search and chrome might be easy to replace at some point..

Google domains was only out of beta ONE YEAR.

Thorin

Drive and Docs and Sheets and Slides and Chat and Meet are all still going strong, but they're also bought by corporate customers so that makes sense.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 17, 2023, 05:20:27 PMChat and Meet

That does have the side problem of Google inventing several different solutions all at once "Google Duo/Google Hangouts/Google Meet".

I have also noticed that MOST of the google workspace companies we colab with use Zoom instead of Meet.