Hard Drive Recoomendations

Started by Mr. Analog, April 18, 2023, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

My SSD is getting... old and a little unstable (deleted a bunch of files and it crashed my machine!)

So I'm in the market for a new SSD, any suggestions?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Samsung is still the leader in performance and reliability

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 18, 2023, 10:30:07 AMSamsung is still the leader in performance and reliability

Any particular models I should look out for for gaming?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

What is your motherboard make and model? Maybe we can move you to a NVMe drive.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on April 18, 2023, 10:55:30 AMWhat is your motherboard make and model? Maybe we can move you to a NVMe drive.

I believe it supports that. I'll check after work
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 18, 2023, 11:08:20 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on April 18, 2023, 10:55:30 AMWhat is your motherboard make and model? Maybe we can move you to a NVMe drive.

Provide the full model of the board as the SPECS for an "M.2" slot can varry between SATA only to PCI / NVMe support etc.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 18, 2023, 11:11:19 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 18, 2023, 11:08:20 AM

Provide the full model of the board as the SPECS for an "M.2" slot can varry between SATA only to PCI / NVMe support etc.

Will do
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Looks like you have LOTS of storage connectors.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/sp#sp

CPU:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_CPU) --- This will be the best socket to use

Chipset:
2 x M.2 connectors (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280/22110 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P_SB, M2Q_SB)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2C_SB)
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M_SB)
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors

Looks like your board has all the M.2 slots hiding under the heat spreader "M.2 Thermal Guard III"

How much storage do you want and how much do you want to spend?

Your board has an official support list for M.2 drives as well, while not 100% necessary it should ensure compatibility. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-MASTER-rev-1x/support#support-doc

I would probably recommend a Samsung 970 EVO / EVO Plus or 980 EVO Pro in the size / budget that works for you.

Melbosa

I would agree with @Lazybones assessment. I would recommend the Pro over the none of you don't cycle your storage very often. Having owned both in my gaming rig I can attest to the gains of the Pro series being worth the extra $$$.

Lazybones

I have a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB in my current system, according to the samsung utility I have written 19.2TB to it in its lifetime so far. A long ways off the lifetime estimated 1,200TBW life.

Mr. Analog

Well this certainly gives me something to work with.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Well my order has shipped and will be here in five to eight business days

I'll need some help with the install. It's only a few screws but they are hard for me to see
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sure let me know when in and I'll come over to help you out!