AMD Dual core reviews

Started by Lazybones, May 09, 2005, 12:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

HardOCP has a review up as well as several other sites.

The verdict? AMD Dual core kicks ass!!!

These systems are showing the best single threaded and multi-tasking scores for just about everything.

The one thing interesting thing that HardOCP points out is that Intel HT system far outperform AMD single core systems when it comes to multi tasking.. but Intel HT dual core systems don't see the same lead or bonus.

And they don't consume more power unlike the Intel dual core systems. Anyone running a server cluser would be interested in that fact.

Shayne

...though i hear that they are in the $1000 range.  Seems like a ton of cash for something i would rarely get the benfits of.

$537USD for the cheapest.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"...though i hear that they are in the $1000 range.  Seems like a ton of cash for something i would rarely get the benfits of.

$537USD for the cheapest.
Very true, but this is always the case with the launch of a new top of the line processor.

Shayne

Still doesnt solve the "getting the use out of it" dilemma.  As a gamer, get the $800 video card over the $800 cpu

Lazybones

DUAL-CORE PRICING (Pricing from AMD):
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ = $1,001 each
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ = $803 each
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ = $581 each
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ = $537 each

Intel Pentium 4 processor Extreme Edition 840 - 3.2GHz, HT  $1,108.99

Now this is only based on the pricing I could find, the Intel price comes from Buy.com and is the lowest price    listed when following links from intel.com

This still places AMD's fastest CPU $100 US less than intels.

The HardOCP article also shows the AMD system blowing the Intel system away in UT and Doom 3. The HardOCP article also points out that its next to impossible to multi task while gaming with a single core AMD, where as a HT intel can do it much better or the DUAL core systems do it best.

I do far less gaming these days, my system is more often, compressing, decompressing archives, mastering ISOs, decoding / encoding video. While all of these things are happening it is sometimes even hard to surf. I think it would be great if I could have those going in the background and continue to game or surf with ease.  

I my self think the CPU is a better investment than the top video card. The video card requirments change too often, and puchasing the top card often leaves you burned with features that never get used till the cards end of life when they finally get implemented in more than one game.