"Alien" fans: the "Space Jockey" story finally going to be told

Started by Darren Dirt, June 14, 2010, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think this is a colossal mistake.

Part of the mystique of Alien is that there are no origins, the Alien is just a supreme force of nature.

Getting into backstory about the Space Jockey will weaken things significantly (again, look at how many novelized adaptations / comics have come and gone trying to fathom the origins and meaning of the Space Jockey with no single one hitting the mark.

I say, leave that chapter closed and work on something new.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Alien, GREAT movie, Aliens also a great movie...

ALL of the other ones sort  of lost something in my mind... 3 being not as bad as 4 maybe? Then there is the super terrible AVP movie.

Please leave the series alone, it already has more BAD releases than good.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on June 14, 2010, 01:51:14 PM
Alien, GREAT movie, Aliens also a great movie...

ALL of the other ones sort  of lost something in my mind... 3 being not as bad as 4 maybe? Then there is the super terrible AVP movie.

Please leave the series alone, it already has more BAD releases than good.

Alien: great "quiet" SciFi/thriller, underappreciated in this era of "loud/talky" scifi.
Aliens: great, tense, claustrophobic, kickass action/thriller, Cameron at the top of his form.
Alien[3+] : have not wasted my time seeing any of the rest.

Alien prequels announced above: considering in the interviewer Mr. Scott says it's the movie(s) he WANTED to make after the first Alien, I think it'll be more than just a money grab, it'll be an attempt to explore a different story in a different universe, kinda like how the Halo sequels told you more about things you got interested in during the first story. I hope that's what it ends up being, anyway, and I hope it excels in the STORYTELLING component, not the action/thriller element. Certainly don't need any more "duplicate the formula, it made lotsa money the first 1 or 2 times" movie sequels. In ANY series. Sorry, Billy Murray...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 14, 2010, 03:33:43 PM
in this era of "loud/talky" scifi.

After having delved headfirst into the world of 1950s/60s Sci-Fi of late I can tell you first hand that "overly talky" sci-fi has been with the genre since day 1 and in general it's the hallmark of a "B" (i.e. filler).

There are three major components to crappy sci-fi/monster movies (of all eras):
-Lots of talking
-At least one love triangle
-They show the monster/talk about the "tech" too much
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 14, 2010, 07:37:12 PM
After having delved headfirst into the world of 1950s/60s Sci-Fi of late I can tell you first hand that "overly talky" sci-fi has been with the genre since day 1 and in general it's the hallmark of a "B" (i.e. filler).

-Lots of talking

I'd take any above-average "B" scifi you describe above over the exposition-heavy Minority Report any day... Especially after watching the Confused Matthew review ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 14, 2010, 09:28:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 14, 2010, 07:37:12 PM

-Lots of talking

I'd take any above-average "B" scifi you describe above over the exposition-heavy Minority Report any day... Especially after watching the Confused Matthew review ;)

Minority Report wasn't a B-Movie. It had special effects, A-List actors (urge to use quotes there). What it WAS, was a train wreck of epic proportions...

But yes, I would prefer to watch Catwomen on the Moon or Conquest of Space than Minority Report
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2010, 06:36:27 AM
Minority Report wasn't a B-Movie.

FYI I was saying Minority Report is an example of what today's directors think is "Sci Fi". Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like it, Philip K Dick + lotsa fast action + ??? = PROFIT usually... but as Matthew said, it had like 3 or 4 endings, too much talky, and not enough "what would you do in that situation?" moments (which is when Sci Fi hits it out of the park, i.e. why The Outer Limits was so watchable every freakin' week, and why ST:TOS is still rewatchable despite how badly it has "aged").

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 15, 2010, 08:42:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2010, 06:36:27 AM
Minority Report wasn't a B-Movie.

FYI I was saying Minority Report is an example of what today's directors think is "Sci Fi". Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like it, Philip K Dick + lotsa fast action + ??? = PROFIT usually... but as Matthew said, it had like 3 or 4 endings, too much talky, and not enough "what would you do in that situation?" moments (which is when Sci Fi hits it out of the park, i.e. why The Outer Limits was so watchable every freakin' week, and why ST:TOS is still rewatchable despite how badly it has "aged").

I hear ya, basically Hollywood's idea of "science fiction" means a standard action or fantasy plot but with laser guns, robots, aliens or space ships.

I could come up with a ton of Sci-Fi premises that might make good movies but Hollywood has been stuck in neutral since about 1970 or so.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 16, 2010, 07:00:53 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on June 16, 2010, 02:50:11 AM
Why do I suddenly have the urge to watch "Moon" again.

Ooh ooh! You mean this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)

Yeah!

"The film currently holds an 89% "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 167 reviews." Still haven't seen this one, okay so how about the first SciFi night includes something old and something "newish" (that has gotten mostly "Fresh" ratings) ... just a thought.

Tom

Its a pretty good film. Saw it in vancouver with Rae and Lazy. It actually gave me an idea for a scifi story I want to work on :o haven't started though.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 14, 2010, 11:15:42 AM
in other film industry news, "unnecessarysequelitis" spreads thru Hollywood...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1409024/news#ni2833219 , http://www.collider.com/2010/03/01/bill-murray-talks-ghostbusters-3-on-letterman/

WHEW! (also, facepalm -- the "h" matters, Bill... GQ interview: Bill Murray apparently not a Seinfeld fan)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer