"Men have become tools of their tools"

Started by Darren Dirt, October 05, 2011, 03:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Argh, he doesn't really give a reason why he dumped his mobile internet usage (because that's what it was all about, had nothing to do with the iPhone in particular really).

Just some general malaise about being too connected all the time. Well, yes, if it's getting in the way of your life get rid of it (which is what he did).

But now he's filling that void with books so the cycle starts anew, why is it so many people find it difficult to just sit back and have a good long THINK, or heck, don't think at all, just abstract meditation?

When was the last time he made a pot of tea and just sat by a window and let his mind wander?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I have gotten pretty damn good at finding BALANCE between my gadgets/toys/tools and my thoughts/feelings/RLexperiences.

Not everyone believes they can find that balance. For the sake of future generations, I hope that lack of faith in self-discipline is the exception not the rule.

I'm really hoping the "singularity" cultists are wrong -- because Being Human is something very unique, that can be assisted in quantity/degree by technology but never surpassed in quality.

Mr. Analog

I guess it's a side effect of living in a world of convenience, I mean my grandmother talks about cleaning the floors in the house EVERY DAY after work (with a broom, a mop and oil) that was after feeding a family of 6 and getting clothes ready for the next day and making sure there was enough coal in the house for the night. Most of us can make and eat dinner in an hour and then the rest is up for grabs.

What I'm saying is that we have a lot of free time to fill, and a lot of work has gone into developing technologies to fill that time for us if we so choose (radio, television, internet, etc).

Choose what fits best for you I guess!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I was reading this and thought two things
- New Smartphone users
- No self control

Nothing special about the iPhone it self.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 05, 2011, 03:57:22 PM
I'm really hoping the "singularity" cultists are wrong -- because Being Human is something very unique, that can be assisted in quantity/degree by technology but never surpassed in quality.

...then again...
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/robot_invasion/2011/09/will_robots_steal_your_job.single.html