Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Best Before AU0892

One of the things that actually makes me want to work harder at using good grammar is just seeing how badly some people can mangle the language online, let alone in speech.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on August 22, 2013, 09:37:04 AM
What does it say on tin?

The "tin" is this case is the URL -- LearnYourDamnHomophones.com (not LearnYou'reDamnHomophones.com ... etc.)

Mr. Analog

Ooh that's an irritating one

The difference between "your pants" and "you are pants" is kind of important
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 22, 2013, 10:23:38 AM
Ooh that's an irritating one

The difference between "your pants" and "you are pants" is kind of important

Your welcome.

Thorin

Messages written up by people who mix up homophones make me cringe when I read them.  I've found, though, that most of said messages can be parsed simply by replacing the incorrect homophone with the correct one and that the intent is clear.  What bothers me is not so much when people are just grammatically incorrect, but when people are grammatically incorrect and the resulting sentences are impossible to parse unambiguously.  Because then you're left wondering whether they mean A or B, where A and B are two completely different viewpoints.

Bad grammar happens every day and improper homophone usage is something no spell checker can fix.  But most of the time it's simple to parse what a person really meant based on the surrounding text.  Sure, it's a pain to read that but it's still parse-able.  Still, I try really hard to use the correct words in the correct order so I don't cause others hypothetical aneurisms.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful