Does Visual Studio Rot the Mind?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 03, 2006, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Funny little article about Visual Studio and how it's killing you softly, maybe:

http://charlespetzold.com/etc/DoesVisualStudioRotTheMind.html

Enjoyyyyy!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

excellent THEME summed up just beautifully in this here verbiage:

Although these scenes are often played for laughs, they seem to reflect our fear of being forced into a dehumanizing relationship with a machine that imposes its jerky digital rhythm on our normally analogue souls.

These encounters leave an imprint on both minds and our bodies. In I Am a Fugitive from a Slave Gang (1932), a convict who is set free from the chain gang walks away still shuffling his feet as if his ankles are still bound with the chains. Similarly, four years later in Modern Times, Chaplin walks home from work with his arms still twitching in the rhythm of the machine.

Nice find!  8)

- - -update- - -

OUCH! This is *totally* me! (My brother had a few months ago set up a Linux box upstairs in the living room so we didn't even have to get off the couch to check out IMDB, etc. :P )

But information too has become an addiction. I don’t know what it’s like at your house, but we can’t even watch a simple rerun of Friends without one of us saying “Who’s that actress playing Joey’s girlfriend? She looks familiar.” We then click the Info button on the remote to get the title of the particular episode, and then go to tvtome.com or epguides.com to learn the identity of the actress, and then perhaps to Internet Movie Database to see a list of the movies, TV shows, and guest appearances she’s done, and perhaps for one of the movies we’ll say “I always wanted to see that movie” and so we add it to our NetFlix queue.

:D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

400+ differences in the new VisStu... will it "rot the mind" any less, now? ;)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/canada/400plusdifferences/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.