Another Blow for the Oilers

Started by CowGirl, October 31, 2007, 04:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CowGirl

When will it stop?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=10697

But on a side note Souray is back practicing I hear.
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Melbosa

Yeah heard that yesterday... damnit it is last year all over again.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Shayne

MOst of the preseason reports had the Oilers finishing near the bottom of the league.  Rather at the bottom for the high draft picks than in the middle where you get "developing" players.

Mr. Analog

Pro sports in Edmonton has tanked for '07 / '08, nothing short of a miracle will change it. Very disappointing.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on October 31, 2007, 08:21:48 PM
Rather at the bottom for the high draft picks than in the middle where you get "developing" players.

Aren't there enough first-round draft picks playing for the Oilers now?  Isn't it time to get some people who know how to take a hit?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

First round isnt as good as first few picks of the first round.  Though I would agree, it all starts at the management level and we all know how that works in Oil country.

Mags

Unfortunately, since we gave up our 1,2 and 3rd round picks to get Penner. It doesn't really matter where we finish when it comes to draft day.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

CowGirl

And Penner is doing so much for us!

Thorin

Quote from: Mags on November 01, 2007, 09:10:21 AM
Unfortunately, since we gave up our 1,2 and 3rd round picks to get Penner. It doesn't really matter where we finish when it comes to draft day.

I was pretty sure Penner was a Restricted Free Agent and we put in an offer sheet that Anaheim didn't match, so we signed him?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Oh, I stand corrected:

Quote from: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/08/02/penner-offersheet.html?ref=rss
Dustin Penner is the newest Oiler after Anaheim general manager Brian Burke chose not to match Edmonton's five-year, $21.25-million US offer sheet on Thursday.

The Ducks will receive a first, second and third-round draft pick as compensation for Penner, who was a restricted free agent.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Shayne

Wow.  So they basically bet the farm for the next 2 years + $21.25M for that kid.  Not looking good for years to come.  Edmonton is the new Blue Jackets!

Thorin

Yeah, keeping in mind that

Penner, 24, will average $4.25 million per year in his new deal after earning $425,000 last season

and

The six-foot-four right-winger shone on Anaheim's Kid Line with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry last season, notching 29 goals and 45 points in his first full campaign with the Ducks, winning a Stanley Cup last season.

The native of Winkler, Man., added eight points in 21 playoff games.

I'm pretty sure he did well because of his linemates, and I think that gets paid more dollars-per-likely-point than other Oilers (for instance Hemsky and Stoll).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

CowGirl

Even though the Oilers record so far doesn't look so good, you will have to admit they have been playing some good hockey.  And been giving some of the top teams a run for their money.

On an added note, Souray and Pisani are both back skating.  Souray should be back in 2 weeks and Pisani they are saying that if everything goes good, 4-6 weeks. 

Mr. Analog

They're very good at getting to the shootout... in October...

:(
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Well I heard we are being called the blue and black now... say it backwards and you'll get it.

I have to agree, we've been playing some strong hockey when up against the big teams, but isn't that how the oilers always do?  Play to the caliber of the opponent?

I'd like to see Moreau back in the line-up, Pisani and Souray (espically with Greene out of the mix now) would be nice too.  Tarnstrom I think we can just send back to the minors or trade, and then keep Smid and Roy on the ice as well.  Roy is basically a vet, with so many years in the minors - and compared to our young vet defenseman he has way more experience - in comparing to Greene, Gilbert, Smid.  NHL is just a faster game which I'm sure he will adjust better to as the games go by.

Anyway, once the injuries are over, we might see a different team.  I must say that Torres has been impressing me this year, and if we can get the Stoll from last Winter/Spring before the injury, those two could have a huge impact in games together.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!