Main Menu

Failed HDD

Started by Tom, July 07, 2014, 10:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Remember me talking about a drive that I think failed in my NAS? Well tonight I have finally bothered to take a look at the smart stats for it... I had thought the drive disappeared from the OS entirely, but it was just allocated a new "sdX" name.

Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   094   094   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       9088
Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   091   087   000    Old_age   Always       -       1520
Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   091   087   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1520

Anyone think it's dead? lol. I was not expecting that, and sadly it is out of warranty. *sniff* I bought a couple new drives when I learned the nas dropped a drive. so I have one to replace the dead one, and a spare.

Nice thing is, it's a raid5 array, and I have a full snapshot of that entire array on another array :o so paranoid ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

To feed the paranoia

Spoiler
do you have an offsite backup?  hehe
[close]

;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 08, 2014, 09:00:50 AMdo you have an offsite backup?
Only of the really important stuff. And I have two offsite copies of it ;D could have three... It's a pretty fancy cobbled together system. custom scripts which use rsnapshot (which uses rsync), and duplicity to create daily, and weekly snapshots, and upload the weeklies remotely.

The reason I don't back up my less important files remotely is easily shown:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0         11T  6.4T  4.6T  59% /mnt/mrbig/data

And yes, I do actually have a full backup of that array, on another array. lol. it's another raid5, but with a couple less 3TB drives.

Tom

Set this up last night too:

root@bender:~# iperf -c mrbig -P8
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to mrbig, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 1003 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[SUM]  0.0-10.1 sec  1.66 GBytes  1.41 Gbits/sec

Setting up bonding is really weird. The way they explain things to work, just doesn't work... Supposed to have to turn on trunking or whatever on my switch, but then I don't see any increase in speed, even from multiple hosts, yet if I disable static mapping aka trunking, it works fine.

As for why, I'll be hosting vm images or volumes on boris for other machines to peek at, so a little extra headroom is helpful. I might eventually pick up a couple used 2 or 4 port nics to see if I can get more out of it, but this should be ok for now.