Main Menu

OnePlus One

Started by Tom, October 02, 2014, 03:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

For those that haven't heard about it, the OnePlus One is a dirt cheap ($450) top of the line Android phone. Kinda in the veign of Google Nexus devices, but not google, and runs Cyanogen out of the box.

Specs:
Spoiler

Screen: LTPS LCD 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.5 inches (~401 ppi pixel density) 10 finger multitouch w/gorillaglass
RAM: 3G
Flash: 64GB (16GB version is advertised, but not available)
Camera: 13Mpix + 5Mpix
Size: 6.02 x 2.99 x 0.35 in 
Weight: 5.71 oz
Battery: LiIon 3100mAh
Radio: HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps; LTE, Cat4, 50 Mbps UL, 150 Mbps DL + Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + BT 4.1
SoC: Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 + Adreno 330 GPU
[close]

So far, It's huge, and I don't like that the hardware capacitive back button is located on the right side, if I can't get used to it, the OS allows you to disable that one, and use an OS button instead. I just hope the OS one is in the right spot.... I found it to be a bit laggy when it was initially installing software after turning on for the first time. Otherwise it's pretty buttery.

I haven't so far noticed any of the issues some people have complained about with this device. But then they have probably made more than one change to manufacturing since they released in may.

So far pretty happy, but I've only had it in hand for like an hour. heh.

This phone has much better specs than my old Nexus 4, considering it's two years newer, that isn't really a surprise. What actually is a bit of a surprise is that my nexus 4 doesn't actually feel slow. Its not like its so slow that I had to update (like my nexus s was getting to be). Only reason I upgraded was I killed the usb jack (again) on my nexus 4, and it's out of warranty, and I didnt feel like messing with a diy repair this close to my trip. I may attempt to repair the nexus 4 after I get back.

One downside to this phone is the entire lack of support from OnePlus. It's pretty much non existent. They will very rarely do an RMA for just about anything. If you want a similar device with a similar price with much better support, get the nexus 5. Why didn't I get a nexus 5? It's older, mostly. I was hoping I could wait till the Nexus 6/X comes out. But I've been hearing that it'll be even larger than the OPO, which is actually not a good thing, and now that my Nexus 4 has a bad usb jack (or charging circuit, not sure which yet) I had to get a new phone before I left for my trip.

So there you go. I might update with more info later if anything pops up or anyone wants me to report about more in-depth after I've had it for a bit.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on October 02, 2014, 03:53:15 PM
One downside to this phone is the entire lack of support from OnePlus. It's pretty much non existent. They will very rarely do an RMA for just about anything. If you want a similar device with a similar price with much better support, get the nexus 5. Why didn't I get a nexus 5? It's older, mostly. I was hoping I could wait till the Nexus 6/X comes out.

Hope it runs well for you and doesn't give you trouble, the above quote is a deal breaker for me.

Tom

Yeah, after I had read the horror stories, I wished I hadn't ordered... Ah well. We'll see how it goes. If anything goes wrong, I may just sell the replacement and buy a nexus again.

Oh, well their support isn't totally @%&#ty. They will ship out replacements if it's a DOA or can't be explained away as PEBKAC. But it's definitely not on the same level as Google's support. Where I called in about a dead usb port, and had a replacement in like 4 days tops (google cross-ships replacements, woo).

Lazybones

I have owned plenty of great devices with poor support.

Tom

One nice thing, is this thing is solid. A twist test shows pretty much no creaking. My Nexus 4 will twist a bit and creak. This OPO? It'll twist a bit, but no creaking.

Tom

Been doing some testing: