Task/ToDo manager apps?

Started by Tom, February 02, 2015, 10:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Anyone know of any good task managers? I'm looking for one with nested tasks that doesn't hobble managing the sub tasks at all. Can be web or desktop based, but android app is preferred.

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

KanbanFlow, maybe?  It's for kanban-based project management, which is basically first-in, first-out task lists with to-do, in-progress, and done columns.

If you're looking for a more basic chore list app, there's Remember The Milk.  It's a task list / to-do list, good for things like ... remembering to get milk on your way home :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Hm, I'm looking for something more like the latter, but most of the ones I've found so far are too simple. Like I have a lot of stuff to do around the house, and I don't want just a single flat list. Some apps I found did have nested lists, but they treated the sub tasks as dumb entries with only done/not done options for them. I suppose I could just use something like google-keep and /tags/ but I don't get any kind of real display of completion for the tag. :(

Thorin

Oh, you're looking for something where you can put in a project, then define tasks in the project, then as you finish the tasks you can see how far along you are on the project?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 03, 2015, 01:01:52 PM
Oh, you're looking for something where you can put in a project, then define tasks in the project, then as you finish the tasks you can see how far along you are on the project?
Yeah, pretty much. A lot like a task management system used for software development, minus some features... Like I don't need to assign tasks or anything.

Mr. Analog

Alright I finally have a good suggestion. You should check out Trello, I think it will fit your needs. Not to mention that it has a decent API
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Nice find! I like that they say it starts simple and then you can add in complexity as needed through "power-ups". That's a great way to run a user interface.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Trello&ia=about
Trello
Trello is a free web-based project management application originally made by Fog Creek Software in 2011, that spun out to be its own company in 2014

Well no wonder it's got a smart, tight but solid UI/UX -- Fog Creek = Joel on Software (and other stuff you may have used -- see Mr. Spolsky's AMA here).

"I'm obsessed with making the world a better place for software developers." he says. And it shows. And nice to see in this day and age the value of that is recognized! <-- choice quote: "...software is eating the world and writing software is just writing a script for how the future will play out..." Hey that's true -- I *do* write script in my daily job!  ::) :rimshot:

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

So far I like it, though I wish it had recurring tasks. you can set deadlines, but no daily, or weekly items :(

Mr. Analog

You can also collaborate with other people. So you can do task assignment between people and groups
By Grabthar's Hammer