Finally have a use case where I'd actually benefit from a raid cache :o

Started by Tom, February 13, 2017, 08:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

God damn it. Smartmontools wasnt installed on bender. (my big vm box). And all four of those drives in raid10 have reallocated sectors, especially one of them... I'm going to have to swap them out. gah.

Who knew, all these 1TB seagates would fail. ::) course they aren't meant for 24/7 operation, but still :o 56600 hours isn't a lot is it? ;) 6 years is fine for a consumer drive isn't it? j/k. Ok one of them is only nearing 20k hours.... but yeah, I think I need to swap out at least three of the drives for newer ones in my stock pile, and only use these ones for like temp storage or tertiary backups.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Ok, so I found a couple newer 2TB drives that seem to be ok, and have temporarily set up a raid0, and am moving the vm volumes off the old disks. Eventually I'll have to get some proper WD Black or ES style drives for it.

Lazybones

If you are dedicating a box to NAS why not use a dedicated distribution that has all the monitoring / SMART functions configured / exposed almost out of the box?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on February 26, 2017, 06:25:24 PM
If you are dedicating a box to NAS why not use a dedicated distribution that has all the monitoring / SMART functions configured / exposed almost out of the box?
The drives in question are my old NAS drives, that had been living in a storage container for quite a while, especially the 1TB drives I just yanked. I put them in the VM box as vm storage.

The nas takes care of itself pretty good, but the kvm box not so much. :(

I've been thinking about serving some vm storage from the NAS though, but I don't know if I really want to do that. I like not having machines be too coupled together. If the NAS needs a reboot, its ok, nothing else gets bothered most of the time. If it turns into a iSCSI or NFS boot host, then it going down would bug a lot of things.

At some point I want to have some storage duplicated/shared across my two vm servers. But I'd want to use proper drives for that, with a proper setup using glusterfs or DRBD+clvm or something like that.