LG BD570C Network Blu-Ray / DVD Player

Started by Mr. Analog, November 15, 2010, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So! After 10 years I finally bought a new DVD player and wow! I'm impressed!

The first feature I'm happy to say was a VERY smooth success was the network capability. I can stream AVC, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, AVI, DivX and MKVs with absolutely no problem right off of a network share, this was something I was somewhat aware of but I was shocked at how well it worked. I have a few 1080p movies on my Drobo and I was able to play them with absolutely no hassle whatsoever.

The BD570C supports wireless video streaming but I found this to be somewhat problematic streaming high bandwidth video (1080p), but I plugged in the wired connection and bingo, very easy, very nice!

As for Blu-Ray & DVD playback I was once again impressed, the video is nicely synced and none of that "enhancing" effect I see playing video through the XBox360.

My only gripes so far is the default brightness of the front panel, the "flap" on the front (sort of an odd design), the remote control navigation buttons (concave buttons are really hard to feel around for in the dark, it's like trying to press the sides of a bowl) and the animations in the menu screen are pretty choppy (I expect something smooooooooooth).

The best part was the price, I paid $180 for it.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD570C.jsp

Incidently the first Blu-Ray video I played on it was Dark City and my god that movie finally got a transfer that makes it look as good as it was in the theatre (THANK YOU).

The first MKV I streamed was Avatar.

And my first video comparison was Apocalypse Now (I compared the upscaling of my DVD version to the native 1080p Blu-Ray version), they both looked pretty good to me but now at least I have both the original and the redux (on one disc yet).

Updating the firmware was easy, though it seems to be automated, which won't bother me unless LG nerfs functionality I paid for.

It also came with a copy of Nero MediaHome 4 Essentials, but seeing as how everything is running well I may not bother with it.

My previous DVD player is now hooked up to my old TV, it may have stayed in service a little longer had my new TV supported SD video hookups but on the plus side I can watch The Outer Limits in bed now haha.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

That's too bad nholtz, I will say that I was extremely disappointed with the wireless and suffered many of the same problems you are describing, when I went to a wired connection most of the problems went away.

I have to agree about the button placement and the overall feel of the remote, it is kinda cheap. Most of the time I use my television remote.
By Grabthar's Hammer