iPhone 3G

Started by Lazybones, July 24, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I am hoping that the 2.0.1 release comes out soon. I did actually lock up completely the other day while trying to add a contact photo.

The rumored features in 2.1.x sound interesting as well.. I miss turn by turn navigation but the having a map you can update at the push of a button is still helpful.

Lazybones

Another difference between the iPhone and other smart phones: the apple store and apple support.

I have now had two problems that where solved with excellent support:

- one of my ear buds started to crackle: genius tested them, and a known good pair with my phone and handed me a new set

- Phone battery started to discharge rapidly after a full charge: genius connected it and checked the usage since last charge, asked few questions and promptly activated a brand new unit for me. 

In my experience with Telus and phone retailers they will do anything to get out of a warranty situation, Apple just seems to make it easy!

Tom

When you have as large of a profit margin as apple, you can afford it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on December 24, 2008, 04:23:56 AM
When you have as large of a profit margin as apple, you can afford it.

Part of the reason Apple stuff is so expensive is that it pays for "really good" support. I mean, the Apple "genius" guys aren't just till jockeys with a different colour nametag they actually receive training and have an aptitude for doing what they do.

Notwithstanding that Apple can sell things at the prices it does because people will fork out the cash :) but that's the market they've created for themselves...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The iPhone is prices similarly to other smart phones, is a hell of a lot cheaper that the HTC 6700 I had previously.

The thing that gets me is how friendly the staff are. I have tried to get warranty support on tech before and almost always got accused of some form of abuse before troubleshooting even began.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 24, 2008, 03:03:05 PMThe thing that gets me is how friendly the staff are. I have tried to get warranty support on tech before and almost always got accused of some form of abuse before troubleshooting even began.

That's what I hear from other Apple owners I work with.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have my eye out for a Mac laptop/desktop at the moment so I can try my hand at iPhone development. My reading indicates that the SDK doesn't work correctly on a Hackentosh in a VM.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on December 24, 2008, 03:03:05 PM
The iPhone is prices similarly to other smart phones, is a hell of a lot cheaper that the HTC 6700 I had previously.

The thing that gets me is how friendly the staff are. I have tried to get warranty support on tech before and almost always got accused of some form of abuse before troubleshooting even began.

In other words, it's Apple's customer service policy that is wowing you.

Every decade, there are a couple of companies that focus on customer service instead of massive sales, and they end up with massive sales because of it (and usually everyone thinks the product is better).

For instance, Toyota focused on customer service through their dealerships when they brought out their new Sienna minivan.  Was it better than the competition, quality-wise?  Some say yes, others say no (look at the large number of engine failures due to sludge buildup).  So why were Sienna owners still so satisfied with their minivans?  Because Toyota didn't give them any hassle about engines being out of warranty - they just fixed them on a "goodwill" basis.  And that worked great for Toyota, as the Sienna became the minivan to buy if you were looking for one.

Same's gonna happen with the iPhone, as long as they keep up the excellent customer service.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I like the iPhone better than other Smartphones before I had to use their customer service. However after getting good customer service I am more likely to purchase other Apple products and recommend them.

This however is disturbing and making me think I need to get on the iPhone developer bandwagon soon before the bubble bursts
http://venturebeat.com/2008/12/23/iphone-fart-app-pulls-in-nearly-10000-a-day/