New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Started by Mr. Analog, November 02, 2015, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I've watched the first three episodes of The Orville now and it's hot garbage. The backgrounds, sets, and ambient sounds and music are really good. The plots, dialogue, and character development are terrible. I mean, if I closed my eyes I felt like I was watching Family Guy in space, not because of the voices but because of the weird dialogue and constant references to modern-day things instead of futuristic things.

Haven't watched Star Trek Discovery yet, I expect it'll be better plot-wise. I hope! Meanwhile, The Expanse hasn't announced its third season yet and Dark Matter got cancelled. I still have Killjoys to catch up on, though. And then a bunch of non-sci-fi shows...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

No more Dark Matter? Dammit, I enjoyed how S1 introduced characters that reacted realistically. .. then S2 let them "be themselves" more in a very different setting.

Was there a 3rd season and just not on NF yet? Damn cliffhanger otherwise.

I starting watching "Timeless" too -- reminds me of the pilot "Rewind" but different focus. Don't tell me they didn't get a second season either...

And Travellers might be done since there is that new Will And Grace dammit wtf is wrong with people. #SciFi needs more love.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Dark Matter had three seasons, and ended on a series-changing cliffhanger, and then was cancelled.  There were some parts where you just had to turn your brain off, it was more fi than sci.  Maybe it was best described as someone's sci-fi tabletop rpg campaign turned into a show.  But it was enjoyable enough to watch.  The Expanse was much harder sci while still fi.  The Orville so far is low on sci, low on fi, hard on inane current-day references; it certainly doesn't try to show an advanced future in any way, besides what was already covered in Star Trek.

I can't think of any other recent sci-fi shows I've considered watching.  Well, maybe Killjoys, I didn't like the first couple of episodes but I'm reading now that the story evolves as the seasons go by.

I don't know what to say about shows not appearing on Netflix in a timely manner...  I'm sure people here can offer alternatives.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I really enjoyed Dark Mirror, I'm hoping for more of that soon. In the meantime Mr. Robot should be back soon (as is Star Wars Rebels! woo hoo)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 26, 2017, 03:30:36 PM
I really enjoyed Dark Mirror, I'm hoping for more of that soon. In the meantime Mr. Robot should be back soon (as is Star Wars Rebels! woo hoo)

Wait, do you mean Dark Matter (a Canadian sci-fi show shown on Syfy), or Black Mirror (a British sci-fi show shown on Netflix).

Yes, Mr. Robot will start up soon, and it'll be great, but it's not really sci-fi to me.  I haven't started watching Star Wars Rebels, other than when my youngest is watching it.  I do know from my intermittent watching that the writing got better and better as the seasons were released, and that everything in the cartoon is considered canon.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

LOL.

BLACK MIRROR combined with Dark Matter would be strangely intriguing.

Dark Matter has a 3rd season on IMDB (so should go to Netflix soon I hope -- that's where I "discovered" it, badly marketed maybe) and apparently that's it (?)

While Black Mirror can go on FOREVER because it is an anthology series (ala Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits) but was so well developed because CHARLIE BOOKER IS A FREAKIN' GENIUS** DARK SATIRIST. And having a ton of US stars being cast that most recent season confirms how it is being recognized as a solid work of scifi drama (even if no ongoing story arc etc. the THEME is pretty much "look into the abyss of your electronic distractions -- the abyss looks back at you, but you then look away!" IMO.)

** nothing is sacred, and he tackles nothing with a shallow or subtle hand: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=charlie+booker+wipe

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 26, 2017, 05:29:41 PM

Wait, do you mean Dark Matter (a Canadian sci-fi show shown on Syfy), or Black Mirror (a British sci-fi show shown on Netflix).

Yes, Mr. Robot will start up soon, and it'll be great, but it's not really sci-fi to me.  I haven't started watching Star Wars Rebels, other than when my youngest is watching it.  I do know from my intermittent watching that the writing got better and better as the seasons were released, and that everything in the cartoon is considered canon.

Yup Black Mirror is what I meant yeah - I loved that series :) Mr. Robot is kind of an edge case especially with season 2 and how the world shifted with cryptocurrency.

Rebels Season 2 onward is a damn fine show AND baffling to me because the characters are actually well written and rounded out - moreso than Rogue One was. So ... people who work at disney/marvel/lucasfilm are capable of writing everything but a standalone Star Wars screenplay apparently...

I'm gonna try and watch Trek tonight - there's so much stacked against it, I hope its good enough to transcend a lot of the dumb decisions; pay streaming service, reworked klingons (again rip), likable character dying in first ep (from what I hear)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Forget a sanitized, forced-diversity "rebooting" of Star Trek.

I'll take classic STAR TREK: LORD KIZZLE any day of the week!
http://youtube.com/user/lordkizzle/search?query=Trek

;D

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 17, 2017, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on May 17, 2017, 09:06:48 PM
Alternative Option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

But yeah I will be watching both this one (with high hopes) and Orville in above link.

Oh dude, I'm really excited for The Orville, that's the show that I'm banking on

"[The Orville] is Star Trek as NORMAL Humans would be, NOT Professional Service People with the proverbial stick up an orifice."
- One of many positive comments here: https://www.wired.com/2017/12/geeks-guide-orville/

An unexpected fan success, apparently.

Whereas -- and I have not yet check the internet to see what other folks have said -- this latest drop of Black Mirror seems to be... off. Like, missing a certain... something. Other than "The Crocodile", which was like a classic Coen Brothers film in a way, story-wise. (note: I have not yet watched the black and white episode)

Lazybones

I prefer The Orville to Discovery, but I am watching both.

The humor in The Orville is uneven but the first season really got better as it went along.

Thorin

The second half of the first season of Star Trek: Discovery has started up, and so far it's been quite good. I almost gave up on the series after the first half, but now I'm solidly drawn back in.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 14, 2018, 11:04:32 PM
The second half of the first season of Star Trek: Discovery has started up, and so far it's been quite good. I almost gave up on the series after the first half, but now I'm solidly drawn back in.

I have been drawn in as far as I really want to see what is next, however at the same time it still feels really "off" in some way to me.

I actually sit in the "I hope I am not right" camp... The foreshadowing is announced a lot sometimes, they will place down a "chekhov's gun" and you can be fairly sure it will go off in an episode or two with semi predictable results.

Melbosa

It's a very dark version of Star Trek for sure.  But I'm liking it myself.  I can't wait for the Orville to come back as well as that one has really gotten its legs too.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

It's the least Star Trek, Trek that there is. It's more like Star Wars than anything else.

UNLESS this is actually the Mirror-Mirror universe THEN things make sense (I am not kidding and there are others who've also thought of this twist)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Latest episodes are in the mirror universe.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!