Are you smarter then a 5th grader?

Started by CowGirl, November 13, 2007, 01:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CowGirl

i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Thorin

I wonder how many fifth graders could pass that test...  You know, we have a fifth grader at home, we should try it on him!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Adams

Nope, 16 out of 19... some of them like the music questions, I had no idea, I was never a music person.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Lazybones

The first answer is WRONG it is magenta, cyan, and yellow, which are not the same as red, blue and yellow.

I did bad on the french and music parts.

Thorin

No, the first answer is correct.  They asked what the three primary colours of pigment are, not what the three primary colours of the subtractive colour system are.

Quote from: http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2002/Color.asp
In grade school we learn that there are three primary colors - red, yellow and blue - that when combined produce secondary colors such as green, purple and orange, and all the various shades and variations on the primary and secondary colors. However, these are the primary colors of pigment and different systems apply to the colors that we see on computer screens and the colors that we see in printed media and photographs.

[..]

Unlike the primary colors of pigment, the primary colors of light are red, green (not yellow) and blue, commonly referred to as RGB. The pigment color system does not apply to computer monitors because colors are created on monitors by adding light. RGB is an additive color system, which means that color is added to a black background. Black is the absence of light and therefore the absence of color. Secondary colors, such as cyan, magenta and yellow, are created by combining the primary colors. The color white is achieved by adding the three primary colors together in equal amounts.

There is, however, a third color system called subtractive, commonly referred to as CMYK. The primary colors of the subtractive system are cyan (C), magenta (M) and yellow (Y), the same colors that are the secondary colors of the RGB system. The letter "K" in CMYK stands for black.

You've been using the computer for too long :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I got 16 out of 19 as well, I borked all the French (I didn't take any French until Grade 7 and I hated every second of it when I did).

I did get all of the music questions correct though.

I thought there'd be more grammar questions to be honest. So, with that in mind lets play "What's wrong with this sentence"!

I think to really get advanced grammar skills you need to read more books.

:D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 13, 2007, 03:39:22 PM
lets play "What's wrong with this sentence"!

I think to really get advanced grammar skills you need to read more books.

Split infinitive, although I didn't spot that until you pointed it out to me.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 13, 2007, 03:22:38 PM
No, the first answer is correct.  They asked what the three primary colours of pigment are, not what the three primary colours of the subtractive colour system are.

Quote from: http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2002/Color.asp
In grade school we learn that there are three primary colors - red, yellow and blue - that when combined produce secondary colors such as green, purple and orange, and all the various shades and variations on the primary and secondary colors. However, these are the primary colors of pigment and different systems apply to the colors that we see on computer screens and the colors that we see in printed media and photographs.

[..]

Unlike the primary colors of pigment, the primary colors of light are red, green (not yellow) and blue, commonly referred to as RGB. The pigment color system does not apply to computer monitors because colors are created on monitors by adding light. RGB is an additive color system, which means that color is added to a black background. Black is the absence of light and therefore the absence of color. Secondary colors, such as cyan, magenta and yellow, are created by combining the primary colors. The color white is achieved by adding the three primary colors together in equal amounts.

There is, however, a third color system called subtractive, commonly referred to as CMYK. The primary colors of the subtractive system are cyan (C), magenta (M) and yellow (Y), the same colors that are the secondary colors of the RGB system. The letter "K" in CMYK stands for black.

You've been using the computer for too long :P

Not according to physics.

www.sci-ed-ga.org/pdfs/Final%20Monkey%20article.pdf

However in grade school art it is still taught that way.
http://www.tomjewett.com/colors/paint.html

So if you have a higher than grade school education the answer should be cyan (C), magenta (M) and yellow (Y) being more accurate.

raeofsunshine

Mr. Analog

In artistic circles we just call it red, yellow, green.

Here's a pretty good article on colour theory I found a while ago:
http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html

Of course with tools like Photoshop you have a colour mode for CMYK colour palette, but this is something understood by people in the Printing industry (I believe).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I hate Jeff Foxworthy.

Sorry, had to say it.

PS: did anyone else get taken aback by how much more difficult the AYSTAFG questions are for "Canadian" as opposed to Uhmeruhcan? Seriously...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.