"If you left for a speedier browser, IE8 is not going to bring you back..."

Started by Darren Dirt, March 19, 2009, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

just in time to compete (haha) Google comes out with some fun experiments, many of which work in FF too

(for example http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/browser-ball/  8) and wow, "Twitch" is very different... half the fun is figuring out the "instructions" for each level; the "Frogger" puzzle is cool, and the "maze" is the final one. I played thru -- 7569 'points'? -- on FF as well.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Some pundit a week ago or so was musing that IE8 might be the end of the road for the IE series, there's been some talk at the Microsoft campus about seriously considering a WebKit based alternative (like Chrome) as a replacement.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

hmm, could you imagine? WebKit browsers from most/all serious contenders? I can already switch my browser to a WebKit renderer (from khtml).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2009, 06:54:07 PM
hmm, could you imagine? WebKit browsers from most/all serious contenders? I can already switch my browser to a WebKit renderer (from khtml).

The problem is mostly related to the EU constantly milking MS for money over browser monopolization. I'm sure you must have heard already that MS will now have to offer "alternatives" to EU customers (which to me is more @%&#ed than just throwing @%&#ty old IE on there and letting people find something better).

They're hemorrhaging money so, it's easier to skin Webkit (was the pundit's theory, based on discussion with some MS peoples).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

As long as they don't break it horribly as they most likely will... I don't mind.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!