"The world is subtle -- and that's why it?s beautiful"

Started by Darren Dirt, July 09, 2010, 02:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

a blog from the "Bad Astronomy" guy... that touches on a lot more than just science!
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/07/09/the-world-is-subtle-and-thats-why-its-beautiful/

I'm definitely finding myself more and more wanting to move away from "low resolution thinking"... and I hope the next generation is also feeling the same way.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

If there is anyone on the forum that I could accuse of thinking in broad terms and being satisfied with that you are certainly not them.

The danger I see with taking a polar opposite approach (let's call it high resolution thinking) is that things start to get a little myopic, people start hanging on to the details more than the greater subject. I see a lot of this online with people that circulate in geeky arenas who constantly obsess over details (which stands to reason, geeks tend to be more detail oriented).

There are people who know the intimate details of everything related to a given subject. Is this healthy/normal? It depends on the individual, but if you find yourself constantly in conflict over minute details regarding said subject you are probably damaging yourself and creating stress where there should be none.
By Grabthar's Hammer