"How I became a reality show dupe"

Started by Darren Dirt, June 21, 2011, 12:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

a surprising little article; makes me kinda sad at how much "prank" shows have changed over the years. IN the old days it was innocent fun. Then it became "prank a friend" (which imo is fine). Now it looks like it's just gone into full hardcore 100% mean mode. Laughing at the kindness of strangers. wtf...

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/06/20/reality_show_dupe/index.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Ugh, hidden camera/prank shows, one of my least favorite genres. They all share the same basic premise: watch someone look like an ass on TV. This has not really changed since 1948 (which says a lot about human nature I think)

Of course today's pranks are a lot less sophisticated, instead of a complex setup and clever situations it's just one fella kicking another fella in the balls, which again says a lot about our culture in general.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Most "Just for Laughs" pranks would probably result in me punching the pranker if they played them on me. Really most are not funny.

Darren Dirt

The real point here is the victim did nothing to "look like an ass". He helped an apparent disabled woman. And then at The Big Reveal that woman laughed AT him.

I give up on TV as a whole, fine, but wtf happened to "humor" actually being funny?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/06/20/reality_show_dupe/index.html
As a genre, reality TV runs on cruelty, strife, coarseness, humiliation

So true.

I also would have walked over to the cameraman, grabbed the camera, and smashed it on the ground.  If they then sued for destruction of property, I would counter-sue for cruel infliction of emotional pain.

Yeah, I'm not big on people being cruel to each other for the sake of making money, unless said money is then shared equally with the one being picked on.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful