celebrity wtf of the year -- John Travolta's face

Started by Darren Dirt, June 27, 2012, 07:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

(off)

"What has happened to his face?! John Travolta, whatever is you're doing, STOP IT you look scary"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2164761/John-Travolta-puts-PDA-wife-Kelly-Preston-kiss-Savages-premiere.html

^ warning: photos in the above article make me think of some kind of cartoon villain from a Tim Burton movie or something... and that's Mr. Travolta trying to look his best (sue your plastic surgeon, John, seriously...)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Oh if only it were JUST the "dumb and dumber"-esque haircut.

for example: Did some aliens beam down and steal all the blood vessels in his cheeks and forehead?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 27, 2012, 09:00:37 AM

for example: Did some aliens beam down and steal all the blood vessels in his cheeks and forehead?

The answer: Yes

Evil invisible aliens that must be purged.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 27, 2012, 09:07:07 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 27, 2012, 09:00:37 AM

The answer: Yes

Evil invisible aliens that must be purged.

BATTLEFIELD: FACE(off)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

He's old, he's got on makeup, he's got a bad haircut, he's...

Wait, why are we even talking about this?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2012, 10:13:58 AM

That's a GREAT question
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

gee, idk

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 27, 2012, 11:59:56 AM

gee, idk

So...  You're happy at the misfortune John Travolta, a man old enough to be a grandpa and possibly a great-grandpa, is having by not looking like a young man while he kisses his beautiful wife after getting out of an expensive car to parade in front of a bunch of cameras on the way to a special premier of a movie?

If anything, I would've thought you'd be thinking of the misfortune he's having with allegations of him engaging in extramarital relations with same-gendered partners, not how he looks.

But then, I didn't think we'd be discussing celebrity gossip on this site (at least, not actor celebrities - maybe geek celebrities?)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Maybe there's a really convoluted connection you haven't thought of yet!

-Portal 2
-Portal
-Anger Sphere
-Mike Patton
-Mr. Bungle
-"Quote Unquote" ? 6:56
-John Travolta

From there you get to Kevin Bacon in like one hop
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 27, 2012, 01:58:39 PM
So...  You're happy at the misfortune John Travolta, a man old enough to be a grandpa and possibly a great-grandpa, is having by not looking like a young man while he kisses his beautiful wife after getting out of an expensive car to parade in front of a bunch of cameras on the way to a special premier of a movie?

If anything, I would've thought you'd be thinking of the misfortune he's having with allegations of him engaging in extramarital relations with same-gendered partners, not how he looks.

But then, I didn't think we'd be discussing celebrity gossip on this site (at least, not actor celebrities - maybe geek celebrities?)

Not even close.

I'm not actually taking pleasure in someone's being accused of something that they may be innocent of.

It's the whole "culture of celebrity" -- as it has ballooned in the past 20 or so years it's clear it's due for a major humbling, and Travolta is just one of many that is an un-ignorable example of humans trying desperately to HOLD ON to their virtual royalty personas, including the forced/faked/failed "young" appearance, and the result is what you see in the photos -- instead of just accepting getting older and the visual changes that accompany this natural process.

I'm responding to obvious anti-authenticity, old people are supposed to look OLD, they aren't supposed to look like they are wearing a Halloween mask. Sure it's nice when it works out well (e.g. Kelly Preston) but when the docs mess up it's embarrassing to say the least (e.g. Melanie Griffith, Sharon Stone) ... just let your skin and face do their normal thing fercryinoutloud! Let the young roles be played by actual YOUNG people and mature in your roles or else move out of the way. (imo)

Last week I watched a clip from the very recent Billy Corgan(the guy from Smashing Pumpkins) interview with Piers Morgan -- he acknowledges how wrong he was as an "angry young man" in terms of lifting himself up over the "common man", and I guess that struck a chord with me, when you find out what the folks in the "public eye" are really like away from the cameras (whether sexual perversions, physical assault, racism, etc.) it is a reminder that the IMAGE can not be maintained 24/7/lifetime, eventually the emperor's lack of clothes are discovered and another prince[ss] falls from his/her throne. Only wish the masses stopped giving so much mental/emotional POWER to these folks who for the most part just got lucky in terms of timing/opportunity.

the Piers Morgan interview clip if you care:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7h4UuckrXQ

Thorin

Okay, so this whole thread was started with the premise of how non-authentic celebrities are and that they should stop trying to portray an image and instead just be themselves and that we should stop giving them power by idolizing them?

Cuz that's not at all what I got from reading that first post - instead, what I got was this would be a thread where we sat around gossiping about celebrities (in other words, giving power to the celebrities by virtue of discussing them).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Meh, new celebrities will rise and old ones will fade away, just as they always have, nothing will be learnt, nothing will change. Of course some of them try desperately to hold on to what they had and not what they have, perhaps dangerously so, and this is also an old story (great film noir made about it in 1950; Sunset Boulevard, worth a watch!)

Regardless, I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to say, as it's a bit convoluted...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 27, 2012, 04:03:25 PM
I'm still not quite sure what you're trying to say

Not "trying to say" anything, jeepers folks, this is a casual forum, not a Serious Issue Discussion Group.

The guy looks scary and almost inhuman (too many Thetans? ;) ) and I found a collection of a half dozen photos demonstrating in their full glory that fact. Woulda been just as "omgwth!?" if it wasn't a celebrity. Just thought I would share, and if you guys go "meh" then that's fine. The Billy Corgan interview was a fluke that within 48 hours 2 such polarized perspective of celebrity-ness entered my brain.

Go back to your discussing of water and Pyro, don't over-think the whole "Darren" situation...