Penny for your thoughts

Started by Darren Dirt, February 04, 2013, 08:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You know, the nickel is now rather nervous, looking over its shoulder for the hitmen that will be coming for it next.

Also, every company will now drop their prices to x.98, because they'll make two extra pennies that they don't have to report as sales every time they round up.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Given most people use Interac I doubt it will make anyone rich...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on February 04, 2013, 10:17:50 AM
You know, the nickel is now rather nervous, looking over its shoulder for the hitmen that will be coming for it next.

Also, every company will now drop their prices to x.98, because they'll make two extra pennies that they don't have to report as sales every time they round up.

my gut instinct (based on math, without actually doing the math) says "it depends on what the 'x' is -- because of GST.)

1.98*1.05 = $2.079, rounded to $2.08 = rounded up to $2.10
2.98*1.05 = $3.129, rounded to $3.13 = rounded up to $3.15
3.98*1.05 = $4.179, rounded to $4.18 = rounded up to $4.20
4.98*1.05 = $5.229, rounded to $5.23 = rounded up to $5.23
5.98*1.05 = $6.279, rounded to $6.28 = rounded up to $6.28
...  :o

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+witchcraft+is+this&tbm=isch

Thorin

There are still large numbers of people who use cash.  It is much easier to keep yourself from spending too much if you take out a set amount of cash every week and use that.  When the cash in your pocket is gone, you can't spend any more (and don't get any more out of the bank until next week).

I agree that this won't make anyone significantly rich, it'll be more than a rounding error but probably less than a half percent increase in till cash.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

No matter what the feds do, they can't stop Whyte Ave weekend drunks from haphazardly "spending pennies"!

Mr. Analog

Instant flashbacks of "Are You Being Served?" on PBS haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

News segment I watched had several retailers already stating they would always round down, and some restaurants with tax included pricing changing their menu to end in 5 or 0 cents.