Possible Solution to some world holes / chunk loading issues

Started by Lazybones, March 19, 2012, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

It seems that when 2 or more of us are on the server the frequency or world holes increases...

This might be a disk IO issue on the server... One possible solution is a RAM disk
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Ramdisk_enabled_server

The solution above also includes saving and backing up the world  ;D

Tom

Heh. I'll add tmpfs loading to my wrapper script.

Though that does make the saving a lot more granular. Any crashes mean a lot more time is lost. And crashes will happen more often when people are online...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2012, 12:58:25 PM

Though that does make the saving a lot more granular. Any crashes mean a lot more time is lost. And crashes will happen more often when people are online...

Any idea on current crash frequency? I just noticed last night with 3 people on, I was sprinting down a mine tunnel and ended up almost falling into a giant hole several times.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 19, 2012, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2012, 12:58:25 PM

Any idea on current crash frequency? I just noticed last night with 3 people on, I was sprinting down a mine tunnel and ended up almost falling into a giant hole several times.
I haven't actually experienced a crash in a long time. So it may not be something to be worried about. But do you actually fall into those holes? It used to be that the geometry was there, and you could walk over it, but you could see through everything.

I'll see about working that tmpfs thing into it soon. Or maybe I'll see what happens if I use an ssd :o (my media box has a 30G SSD that it only has to speed up booting time)

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 19, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
But do you actually fall into those holes? It used to be that the geometry was there, and you could walk over it, but you could see through everything.

Since I was a long way from home base and carrying lots of stuff, I didn't test it out, and walked along a visible ledge.... Good point it could be just visual but even then these holes where huge, thus obstructing visibility for a fairly long distance.

Mr. Analog

The safest bet is to log out and then log back in right away, usually world holes are just an illusion however if there is an ACTUAL hole you didn't know about well, then things get frustrating...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2012, 03:07:42 PM
The safest bet is to log out and then log back in right away, usually world holes are just an illusion however if there is an ACTUAL hole you didn't know about well, then things get frustrating...
I'd walk around with shift pressed. That way you cant fall.

I just need to find a good time to work on teh upgrades. Well I still have some work to do on my wrapper. Last time I ran it, I accidentally killed the script, but it left the mc server running, whoops. I was trying to get it to gracefully send a "stop" command to the server when the wrapper is "signal"ed. But so far it doesn't want to send to the server when that happens. I think I need to play some shenanigans.

I think I'll just test out the script on my laptop so I don't interfere with the main server till I get it working.

Lazybones

Good point, I have started to use shift during construction to prevent falls.
Only problem is that it makes you even slower.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 19, 2012, 05:08:45 PM
Good point, I have started to use shift during construction to prevent falls.
Only problem is that it makes you even slower.
I find its faster as I don't fall as much ;) if you can manage the direction you're going, and having the keys pressed, and the place button all at the same time you can go at a good clip no matter how high you are.

Mr. Analog

Also holding shift seems to eat up the food bar (like jumping or running)

*shrugs*
By Grabthar's Hammer