Mincraft on the XBOX

Started by Melbosa, March 22, 2012, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on March 23, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
2. You will want / need a bigger or better TV to enjoy most xbox titles since txt and menus are mostly optimized for highdef TV, they are almost impossible to read on an old TV.

While this was true on the original releases for the xbox, it isn't so much a problem across the board now.  Most are fine on a standard def (my sis plays all her games on one).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

If you want to pay off your credit cards first, then by all means pay off your credit cards first.  I don't think anyone here said you _have_ to buy an Xbox?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 23, 2012, 01:48:54 PM
If you want to pay off your credit cards first, then by all means pay off your credit cards first.  I don't think anyone here said you _have_ to buy an Xbox?

Exactly, some of us still struggle with that even when we know better.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on March 23, 2012, 01:43:16 PM
2. You will want / need a bigger or better TV to enjoy most xbox titles since txt and menus are mostly optimized for highdef TV, they are almost impossible to read on an old TV.

While this was true on the original releases for the xbox, it isn't so much a problem across the board now.  Most are fine on a standard def (my sis plays all her games on one).
How well do you think it'd do on my old 27" CRT from the 80s ;) but then it doesn't matter, I took it to the eco centre a week or two ago. Same with the rest of my CRT devices. Bit 27" tv, a smaller 24? (not sure), a 13", and two 21" CRT monitors. Its amazing how much room I freed up.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 23, 2012, 01:58:01 PM

How well do you think it'd do on my old 27" CRT from the 80s ;) but then it doesn't matter, I took it to the eco centre a week or two ago. Same with the rest of my CRT devices. Bit 27" tv, a smaller 24? (not sure), a 13", and two 21" CRT monitors. Its amazing how much room I freed up.

Probably better playing on a small high rest monitor than an old big CRT.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 23, 2012, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: Tom on March 23, 2012, 01:58:01 PM

Probably better playing on a small high rest monitor than an old big CRT.

Speaking from experience: yes
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on March 23, 2012, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: Thorin on March 23, 2012, 01:48:54 PM

Exactly, some of us still struggle with that even when we know better.
I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a new TV. :( and the xbox would be to get a little more familiar with games these days, and maybe play with the indie marketplace. It's really really hard for me to not spend money. Especially since I need a new stove, couch, TV, more renovations... etc...

Mr. Analog

One thing I find helps is goal setting and a second savings account. If what you want to buy is $2000 and you can put $100 per paycheque into savings it will take you 20 pay periods. In my case I get paid twice a month, so it would take roughly 10 months for me to get there.

It sounds long and slow and boring but it works, plus it's always nice to have a little money tucked away. You also start to pay more attention to how much money you spend I guess, I've started eating more lunches at home which is saving me anywhere from $30 to $50 a week (which adds up). So I pass that surplus into my savings account :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

With Tom's doubling or tripling in income he might be able to put $500 away per cheque, meaning that $2,000 is suddenly only 4 months away.

But yeah, Tom, make a list of the things you need to spend money on (stove, couch, TV, renos, etc) and how much on each, put away a set amount each cheque for it, and you might find a year from now you've got most of it.

Or charge it and pay high interest charges just for the sake of having it now if you want.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on March 24, 2012, 04:17:58 PM
With Tom's doubling or tripling in income he might be able to put $500 away per cheque, meaning that $2,000 is suddenly only 4 months away.

But yeah, Tom, make a list of the things you need to spend money on (stove, couch, TV, renos, etc) and how much on each, put away a set amount each cheque for it, and you might find a year from now you've got most of it.

Or charge it and pay high interest charges just for the sake of having it now if you want.
Yeah, maybe. I'm paying off the current balance on my cards /first/ regardless. As much as I want a new TV, that isn't on the top of my list.

Also my income isn't quite as good as I'd like. As a hired gun, I've been moved around a bunch, and this new project seems to be going slow. So I haven't had /any/ real time on it this week. few hours maybe.