Main Menu

World Map

Started by Lazybones, March 17, 2012, 12:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I was looking at the Minecraft Overviewer docs and would really like to see this tool used, it would make taking screen shots and sharing map locations so much easier..

Minecraft Overviewer also supports a crop feature... this might be interesting to use to create a subway map by cropping the height and depth to the limits of our mostly standard depth subway system.

Lazybones

Ok even better than just slicing the world there is a cave render mode that sounds like it will create highlighted 3d tube like maps, but not example screen is given. There is also the option to only render caves that have been lit which is nice to preserve surprises.

Also there is a mineral map, which may be cheating, it can mark the surface is minerals exist under there.

Mr. Analog

That sounds pretty damn sweet actually
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on March 21, 2012, 11:37:56 AM
Ok even better than just slicing the world there is a cave render mode that sounds like it will create highlighted 3d tube like maps, but not example screen is given. There is also the option to only render caves that have been lit which is nice to preserve surprises.

Also there is a mineral map, which may be cheating, it can mark the surface is minerals exist under there.

That cave rendering mode, that sounds like what I was thinking of tinkering with to create if I were to ever start a Minecraft mod or tool.

Mineral map is cheating.

Damn, maybe I do need to start playing this game, the way I keep reading about it :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

...1 x 1 metre Lego is all I'm saying...

*casually walks away from thread whistling*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Looking at the road map it looks like a future update will support a notes / labels layer... that would be handy...

Now to convince our server / world god/admin to install it.... ;) unless someone has found a better option?

Thorin

Damnit, I'm sitting here wondering how hard it would be to find the spec that defines the Anvil world map storage container(s).  I've already read something about XYZ becoming YZX for better storage.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to use neighbour detection to find edges, or even just find all the blocks that are empty or something to do the mapping.

Do the clients have their own local map storage so the game knows what you've already scouted?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 21, 2012, 02:29:12 PM
Damnit, I'm sitting here wondering how hard it would be to find the spec that defines the Anvil world map storage container(s).  I've already read something about XYZ becoming YZX for better storage.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to use neighbour detection to find edges, or even just find all the blocks that are empty or something to do the mapping.

Do the clients have their own local map storage so the game knows what you've already scouted?

Word is that an official API is coming, though when isn't clear:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1098377-interview-with-jeb-mod-api-more/

Right now most of the mods/tools are hacks and frequently break with new versions.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 21, 2012, 02:29:12 PM

Several of the mapping tools I have previously linked to from the wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Programs_and_editors/Mapping are open source and written in Java or Python. Probably could get the info from there.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

A reference design map converter was officially published http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/new-minecraft-map-format-anvil/

I guess a spec will come out later.

Tom

No need to convince me. I just need to find a time to do it, and /want/ to do it ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on March 21, 2012, 06:53:32 PM
No need to convince me. I just need to find a time to do it, and /want/ to do it ;)

What its not like you have a..... O wait you do have a day job... ;)

Its just a python command-line app, how hard could it be ;)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Built some rails for you guys and put them in the chest at the spawn station
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!