Apple iPhone

Started by Lazybones, January 09, 2007, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

...at what cost though.  100M?  More?  I will agree that Apple did announce this product too early, but then again, Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo all announce their products a year in advance.

Lazybones

Shayne

Its a shame that its $100 for 200MB

Shayne

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 13, 2007, 02:03:54 PM
The cost of owning an iPhone....$1,936 USD

http://www.centernetworks.com/true-cost-of-the-iphone

Now do the same for ANY SMART / PDA phone in Canada...

Shayne

I'm not going to argue that, but the basic statement of the page is that while the price of $599 is being argued as affordable for everyone the extras make it not so much.  I can imagine a lot of college kids getting something like this but then realizing that a $150 phone bill is a bit much.  Heck my $60 bill right now pisses me off.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 13, 2007, 05:25:45 PM
I'm not going to argue that, but the basic statement of the page is that while the price of $599 is being argued as affordable for everyone the extras make it not so much.  I can imagine a lot of college kids getting something like this but then realizing that a $150 phone bill is a bit much.  Heck my $60 bill right now pisses me off.

You bet, to a normal phone user it is VERY expensive... I was just saying for a smartphone/PDA phone user it is probably only a little more up front for the hardware.

Shayne

QuoteThe iPhone, despite its many media-oriented virtues and its sweet design, will do far less than most existing smart phones. The problem Apple now faces because of Jobs' premature detail-oriented announcement is that of dashed expectations. When customers expect more and don't get it, they become dissatisfied.

What doesn't iPhone do? Unlike most smart phones, the iPhone doesn't have voice dialing, voice memos, 3G Internet access, Word or Excel support, one-handed operation or video recording. It can't be used as a laptop modem. The battery can't be replaced. It doesn't support removable storage. The calendar, task list and e-mail won't sync with Microsoft Outlook.

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9008439

I still know a bunch of people, including Druid, who are dieing to own this device.  Lots of style, no substance.  Its the supermodel of phones :)

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Nice :)  I hadn't seen that, but they give a rather over-the-top impression that most people got from the Keynote.  Its everything when really, its not so much.