buying the kids a new computer...

Started by Darren Dirt, March 11, 2009, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

I'm looking to get a cheap, decently fast 'ready to go' CPU for my kids...

which would you guys recommend? i.e. is the extra $$ for the Pentium (as opposed to AMD) worth it?

Pentium: Compaq Presario Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4GHz Computer (SR5718F) $499

AMD: Compaq Presario AMD Athlon X2 4400 Dual-Core 2.3GHz Desktop Computer (SR5614F) - Web Only $399

(PS: Future Shop = easier to say to Dionne "let them take care of it" if there's any problems; also -- surprisingly! -- Memory Express doesn't have "value systems" as cheap as FS. Wow eh)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tonnica

Oh hey neat the Pentium comes with an extra stick of RAM and a bigger hard drive. Neither one has a very powerful processor and both have onboard video so these puppies aren't playing FarCry 2 without an expensive upgrade. But that's not really the point.

The question I'll toss back for you to ponder: "Is this PC powerful enough so that my kid can do a multimedia school project on it without having to borrow a more powerful machine?". Kick the tires on one of these models and see if it can manage asynchronous video editing while 10 browser windows are open in Vista. Both are pretty similar capability-wise and very close size-wise so gauge the capability of one and you've got a good idea for the both of them.

I always give preference to nVidia products though. Awesome driver and utility software updates are awesome.

Thorin

Do you also need a monitor and keyboard and mouse?  Or just the case/power supply/motherboard/cpu/ram/hard drive/optical drive?

I have no idea what Compaq is like but I really like my Dell Inspiron 530 as a basic system.  You can buy it without a monitor: Dell Inspiron 530 for $379 (I suggest paying $60 for upgrading to a better processor and $40 for upgrading to Windows Vista Home Premium for a total of $479).  Or you can buy it with a monitor and the better processor for $449 (then upgrade to Home Premium for $40 to get to a total of $489 - basically paying $10 for a new monitor, keyboard, and mouse).  Shipping is free.

The Inspiron 530 has a PCI Express slot if you want to upgrade the video card.  The power supply isn't very high wattage, so I don't know if it could handle a top-end video card...  Still, Dell's generally smart enough to engineer the system such that you can probably put a decent video card in there.

The Inspiron 530 is whisper-quiet except right at start-up.  In the middle of the night, when the house is so quiet you can hear a mouse whisper, I still can't hear it.  I didn't realize how nice it is to have a quiet computer until I got these ones.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

I have some extra hardware just laying around. 2 Athlon XPs at 2.x GHz. with motherboards and ram.

But if you want to give them something that doesn't need to handle games, try the Asus eeeBox ;)

Or go with one of those all in one Dell bundles. Those can be decent systems if you don't mind dealing with Dell for tech support.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Get 'em an Apple ][ and tell them to make their own fun with it (j/k of course).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 13, 2009, 12:25:46 AM
Get 'em an Apple ][ and tell them to make their own fun with it (j/k of course).

I let my brother have my old Atari ST, complete with about 3 dozen games (mostly European, yeah baby! Those were the days of creativity!) ...included was the "GFA BASIC" programming tool (like a BASIC+Pascal hybrid, no line numbers, has While...Wend and Do..Until loops, etc.) and his 12 year old son apparently has been playing around with it on occasion :)

Thorin

I'm seriously considering getting my son an HTML book to start with (he's interested in creating web sites).

Anyway, let us know if/when you pick a computer :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

What about replacing your main computer and giving them yours? Or are you talking about said main computer?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 13, 2009, 12:18:41 PM
What about replacing your main computer and giving them yours? Or are you talking about said main computer?

I've got so many things installed right now, and don't want Vista (natch) so happy using my "old" system until I win the lottery and can afford to buy a new decent one ;) Normally I do that "hand me down" thing for the kids, though.

Lazybones

Pt V your current XP install to a VM on your new machine. That way you can run all your legacy configuration on new faster hardware. Vista just hosts the VM.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on March 13, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
Pt V your current XP install to a VM on your new machine. That way you can run all your legacy configuration on new faster hardware. Vista just hosts the VM.

actually I plan on doing the "downgrade" to XP on the faster hardware ^_^

Don't enough about VM and related to want to install my daily CPU needs upon that as a foundation... call me lazy/chicken, whatever...

Melbosa

OK I am still not following.  You can still buy computers with Windows XP OSs (Memex, Dell, HP, IBM still offer that).  So why not just do that, get yourself a newer computer, and transfer your stuff to the kids.  Even that $500 comp is still probably better than the one you are using, no?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on March 13, 2009, 04:26:27 PM
OK I am still not following.  You can still buy computers with Windows XP OSs (Memex, Dell, HP, IBM still offer that).  So why not just do that, get yourself a newer computer, and transfer your stuff to the kids.  Even that $500 comp is still probably better than the one you are using, no?

That *is* what I plan on doing this weekend (I just dread the process of moving stuff over, not just the data, but remembering the config stuff that is "backupable" vs. "have to manually redo the settings")

Tom

Use the silly MS "User Migration" tool thing. Can't remember where it is, but it "should work". should copy all of your @%&# over...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on March 13, 2009, 04:46:03 PM
Use the silly MS "User Migration" tool thing. Can't remember where it is, but it "should work". should copy all of your @%&# over...

LOL! You just advised me to use something Microsoft provides to its users for free!

hahahahah! Oh wait, my stomach, owwww....

PS: not everybody/everyapp puts every damn "config" setting into the C:\...\Profile\ folder... Space on my "C" drive < Space on my "D" drive.