Main Menu

FALLOUT 4

Started by Mr. Analog, June 02, 2015, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

A game in development for that long nearly certainly means it's been rebooted at least once or twice. With a new generation of consoles coming out and new engines comming all the time with better graphics, you'd have to restart or release a game that looks 10 years old and is laughed at.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 16, 2015, 08:00:21 AM
My only concern at this point is the specs required, I want to stick with PC and I'm pretty sure if it's made to run on an XBone / PS4 I should be able to handle it, but still, getting the right settings for GTAV took a little digging
Thing about GTA5 is they spent the time to crank things up to 11 for the PC port.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 16, 2015, 11:57:11 AM
A game in development for that long nearly certainly means it's been rebooted at least once or twice. With a new generation of consoles coming out and new engines comming all the time with better graphics, you'd have to restart or release a game that looks 10 years old and is laughed at.

While I'm sure they take an iterative approach to design it's very clear that they've added a lot in the time they've had, starting by building a completely new game engine which I'm sure would have been runnable in some form or another even 5 years ago (8 gig quad core for gaming PCs wasn't that outrageous in 2010, and that's the standard for the current gen of consoles)

Conceptually they've added a lot of interesting stuff while retaining the core of what made Fallout 3 great, the settlement building system alone accounted for something we as players kludged into our housing in the previous games, it's like not only was Bethesda paying attention to how we played their game but they took it further, they didn't have to, but they did and it will be a richer experience for it

Quote from: Tom on June 16, 2015, 11:58:57 AMThing about GTA5 is they spent the time to crank things up to 11 for the PC port.

Yes, and it shows, it's a much MUCH more polished / enjoyable experience on PC, especially when you get it running at a smooth 60 FPS with HD textures / effects. That said finding the right balance of settings was something I had to search for, thankfully somebody out there had a guide for my video card. I just hope Fallout 4 looks and runs great out of the box. It certainly looks the business!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

QuoteBethesda Softworks ‏@Bethblog 29m29 minutes ago

Fallout 4 is 1080p & 30fps on Xbox One and PS4. Resolution and FPS are not limited in any way on the PC.
https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/613008088824741888

30 FPS on XBone and PS4!

Yeh, I'll be playing on PC (like there was any doubt)

Might have to buy a second vid card and SLI them lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

While resetting ALL of my passwords today, I noticed most of the fallout games are now in my GOG account. Interesting.

Mr. Analog

Nice!

There are some good HD mods for Fallout 1 & 2
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Melbosa on June 15, 2015, 04:14:52 PM
I'm now interested after the E3 video.

And I downloaded Fallout Shelter on my iPad :D

Fallout Shelter is on Android if anyone is interested BTW.  It would sure crap out my iPad 2 after about 15 peeps in my shelter.  Hopefully it runs better on my Nexus 9.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

It's scary how fun this little game is!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Bethesda will be offering a season pass for Fallout 4 DLC

Given their excellent tradition of quality (sometimes core-game improving) DLC I welcome this announcement

http://bethesda.net/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=090915-F4SeasonPass#en/events/game/fallout-4-launch-and-beyond/2015/09/08/22

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/641613946525483008
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

So I decided to play Fallout shelter a bit. I don't know I'd call it fun, but then i don't call most games /fun/. But it does hook me. Love dem skinner-boxes.

Anyhow, its buggy as all heck. And apparently, a nexus 7 2012 is too slow? It's a bit laggy and takes a long time to load. I might try updating to a non stock rom to see if the stock rom just slows the old boy down.

One thing that'd make this game a bit more fun is more actual content (items, special dwellers, etc), and a better chance at lunch boxes, and better items IN non paid for lunch boxes. Also, if more would actually happen when you're not playing. I had some dwellers in a work out room and they got NO progress.

I watched a guy unlock 82 (paid) lunchboxes, and nearly everything was crap. lol. A few nice guns, a couple dwellers he already had (??)...

If you're going to spend money on anything, I suggest those droids. They take a lot of the repetitive tapping out of it, and will help take care of infestations, and invasions. Very helpful.

Mr. Analog

The game changes over time, you start having to deal with things like Deathclaw attacks and more difficult to handle hazard events (@%&#ing molerats)

Good items can be found by sending out your best vault dwellers into the wasteland (equip them with at least 5 stimpacks and radaway each and they'll be fine for hours). Even if they die you can bring them back to life for >2000 caps and they take no damage returning.

Learning how the rooms relate to each other gives you bonuses and managing happiness is important. Also learning that while large, fully upgraded rooms give you a lot of resources they are also harder to defend, so you need to strike a balance between merging / upgrading rooms. Learning that rooms connected to dirt are more prone to attack is important too, don't put strategic resources on the edges of your vault (unless your dwellers can handle it that is, free XP!)

I've managed to get a solid B to B+ rating for more than a week now, you get a bonus for that as well.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, I'm a couple days into it. Learned a lot of that pretty quickly ;D been attacked many times by bugs/rats and raiders.

I put two people out in the wasteland last night, they were out >12 hours lol. Still coming back. tons of loot, but most of it is kinda @%&#ty. Like there's a few beebee guns that are /useless/.

But yeah, I watched a guy with a rather large vault play, and got a lot of crap especially for his level, and some duplicate dwellers which you'd think shouldn't be a thing?

I'm playing with a radio room atm, got a few people in there trying to attract more bettar dwellers. Most of the children my dwellers have had are absolute crap, even from my best dwellers. Also got a couple of those workout rooms, it sure takes a while :o and they don't process when you don't have the app active, so its a pain.

If you have a >= 90% happiness rating you get a 10% bonus on food, power and water as well.

Tom

Most annoying bug so far, it will bug out durring an infestation/attack/fire causing it to be impossible to actually heal dwellers. often most or all in a room will die.

append: a couple times I had most/all die several times in the same fight for what seems like no reason. so frustrating.

Mr. Analog

Strange I haven't hit that at all. I've hit a cap duplication bug but that worked out in my favor. Oh yeah, the quality of loot is dependent on the vault dweller you send our (make sure you have high luck! )

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer